Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lemon grass oil  (Read 3457 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Lemon grass oil
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:21:08 am »
Does anyone know if lemon grass vegetation can be used in swarm traps instead of the oil?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Lemon grass oil
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:52 am »
I would venture to say no.   I don't believe there is a high enough concentration in the vegetation.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:38:24 am »
I would venture to say no.   I don't believe there is a high enough concentration in the vegetation.

I have never tried it in an experiment. I also think it would not be concentrated enough to duplicate the effect.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:43:23 am »

The dried stuff won't work as the much of the oils plus water is dehyrated out of it.  Fresh might work but it would be weak and of short duration.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:15:11 am »
Oh well it was a thought :-D

Miick

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:37:16 am »
You could extract it yourself -- instructions are on the Internet -- but sounds like a lot of work.

I did read about a person who dabbed some on the string supports for her peas to attract honeybees to her garden. She claims it worked. I might give it a try with the oil. I've grown it in my herb garden the last couple of years and noticed the leaves don't have much of a scent.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:06:11 pm »
Sounds like a lot of effort for very little return when you can just go out and buy the stuff doesn't it

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »
well i saw a show on TV about beekeeping in AFRICA and they where all rubing the insides of there top bar hives with fresh cut lemon grass -so it must do somthing  :lol: RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:09:21 pm »
Yes.  It just won't last as long.  Chip Taylor, who brought the idea back to the US, was studying AHB in South America when someone there told him it would work for swarm lure (the grass itself).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:07 pm »
  How do you use the oil exactly? I bought some and I thought I would give it a try.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 03:59:14 pm »
A few drops somewhere in the bait hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »
I use lemon grass essential oil.  Place a few drops in a spray bottle and fill with water.  Essential oil is concentrated.  After mixing with water you will still smell it.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 10:31:23 pm »
If you want to use fresh lemongrass you rub the inside of the bait hive with it and, if you like, leave some of it inside as well.
-------------------

anything