Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Master Beekeeping Courses on Line.  (Read 9829 times)

Offline babathemba

• New Bee
Master Beekeeping Courses on Line.
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:00:51 pm »
I'm considering taking a Master Beekeeping Course on line and don't know much about what's out there besides what's offered at the Univ. of Delaware.  Does anyone have any specific information or suggestions?  Jeremy.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Master Beekeeping Courses on Line.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:42:05 pm »
I recommend keeping bees first. Take the course after you have had bees for a couple of years.

Sincerely,
Brendhdan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:15:00 am »
babathemba.  Welcome to your visit to our forum.  I think that Understudy said a good thing, taking a master beemaster course may be overwhelming, just take something a little more simple to begin with.  This forum for example, will be a wonderful learning tool, you can read so much information here and ask any question that your heart desires.  Welcome, spend some time here and you will learn a whole lot of information.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline babathemba

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:27:26 pm »
I'm not quite certain why it is assumed I'm a nu-bee. I've been managing bees for a long time, have been to many of the local conferences, am on the executive of the County Beekeepers' Assoc  and plan to go to Apimondia in France next year.  And I'm still looking for an on-line course that covers the Master Beekeeper program and is one that others might recommend.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:07:21 pm »
We had no information on you. You have two posts (currently). It is a good assumption without having a bio. :)

Since you have a bit more experience.

Cornell has one through http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/

You can see a list here http://www.entsoc.org/resources/education/online-courses.htm

I also must say. I have never taken an online course for beekeeping. I am not sure if it wasn't hands on I would do it. It seems like vocational schooling to me.

I will tell you this if you want to talk to someone about making one of his courses avaliable to you. I would talk to Dr. Jamie Ellis at the University of Florida. He is putting together the beekeeping college in March.
http://afbee.ifas.ufl.edu/contact.html

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 05:21:59 pm »
I'm not quite certain why it is assumed I'm a nu-bee. I've been managing bees for a long time, have been to many of the local conferences, am on the executive of the County Beekeepers' Assoc  and plan to go to Apimondia in France next year.  And I'm still looking for an on-line course that covers the Master Beekeeper program and is one that others might recommend.

Babathemba.  Ooops, I am not certain why of that reason either, and I surely do hope that you were not offended.  Thinking about it, the was not reason to really think that you were new to the beescene.  Only thing, like Understudy said, because you were new to the forum and knew nothing of what you are up to.  Funny how us humans perceive certain things, so many times in the wrong vein.

Good, so you are a seasoned keeper of the bees, yea!!!  You will for surely be one that will be answering questions that will be brought forward.  It is wonderful for new members to offer their opinions and advice, I love that.

There must be an online Master Beekeeper program somewhere, I am sure that someone will chime in and give you a hand here.  Anyways, welcome again, I hope that you have not been turned off stickin' around our forum by an assumption on my part, in particular.  Have the best of this great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:19:28 pm »
There's a reason why the definition of assume is to make an arse out of you and me  :evil:

Babathema, welcome!  I will be very interested in hearing about which course you choose, I've thought of doing the same thing myself at some point!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:45:18 am »
There's a reason why the definition of assume is to make an arse out of you and me  :evil:
Funnnnneeee,  :) :) :)C

Offline babathemba

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:12:31 am »
Thank you for your thoughtful and considerate responses, and in particular the links to appropriate web sites. It may take a little time but I'll let you know what I  find out and what I decide, if anything.

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 02:51:38 am »
 Dr. marla spivak has some online courses thru the university of minnesota . hope it helps .   metzelplex 

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:44:56 am »
I looked around online and couldn't find much for online MBC.  I'm not sure how much you could do online for your MBC since theres so much involved hands on.
Are you a member of a state or local beekeeper's association?  Ask around at your next association meeting.  Lots of clubs offer classes.  Have you already completed your "Apprentice" level?  "Journeyman"?

Here in Washington state, the MBC program is organized through the Washington State Beekeepers Association and Washington State University.  The classes and testing are also held within county and local organizations.  I just joined the Pierce County Beekeepers Association and plan on taking their Apprentice classes as soon as possible.  The whole program (from Apprentice to Master) will eventually take me a minimum of 8 years to complete.  Lots of work ahead but I think it's awesome!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline babathemba

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:26:51 am »
After looking around I think I'm going to take the online beekeeping couse offered by the Dr. Dewey Caron at the Univ of Delaware (Dewey's book is most comprehensive and has become a must-have)  and then write the 4 Master Beekpeer Exams (all of which include a lab or practical session) offered at the annual EAS meetings. That should compliment not only the work I do with my own hives but also the mentoring I do for nu-bees.

I think and hope I'm involved with the local bee association, Sean; hopefully the title of President is not just honorary! I really should put a bio on the profile page.  Mea culpa.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 12:04:33 pm »

Ann, I have no clue why, but every time I see this little sentence that you wrote, it makes me laugh.  Funnneee eh?  I don't know why some things just strike my funny bone, and I get this wheezy, squeaky little inside laugh going on, and it brings that beautiful smile to my face, hee, hee, ooooooh you make me wanna laugh!!!  oooooh you make me wanna shout!!!!  and you know what comes next......hee, hee.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, laughin' and lovin' this life we live.  Cindi

anything