Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: butt thumping?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline beedad

• House Bee
butt thumping?
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:31:03 pm »
ive noticed every once in a while bees that thump their abdomen against the comb.  ive seen it with and with out smoke, and it dosnt seem to me that its threatening to me.  as in warning the other bees about me.  but i have no idea.  anyone know what this might be?

Offline beedad

• House Bee
Re: butt thumping?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:43 pm »
has anyone else ever noticed this happening? is it maybe something weird like washboarding?

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:44 am »
are they cleaning their hind legs or is it a faster motion?
I've seen and heard of something described to me as the "joy" dance where a bee rattles her abdomen, but she isn't communicating a source of something - just (apparently) dancing for the sake of dancing.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:47:53 am »
I see that too. Looks a bit like part of the waggle dance, but I'm sure its not since they do it when its dark out too.  Not sure why, but must be some kind of communication.

Maybe we can call it the "Booty dance"!  :mrgreen:

Rick
Rick

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:26:52 am »
I see that too. Looks a bit like part of the waggle dance, but I'm sure its not since they do it when its dark out too.  Not sure why, but must be some kind of communication.

Maybe we can call it the "Booty dance"!  :mrgreen:

Rick
I bet it is a communication. I notice many of the websites I've visited can describe thoroughly how the dance can indicate direction with remarkable precision, but they all seem to fade off into a mutter when they say the dance also gives distance (and I would just about bet the farm - elevation.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 05:30:36 pm »
ive wondered if it was part of a dance too, but its definitely not wag tail.  sometimes they do it on top of other bees.  but i dont think that means anything.  maybe it is just a happy dance.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:50 pm »
Well you know when you got the beat you just cant hide it...lol :-P
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »
The combs transmit sound waves, thumping the combs is a bee's way of shouting.  Such action will then usually be followed with some kind of communication such as a dance or antenna touching.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!