Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Large queen cells burried in honey comb  (Read 2274 times)

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
Large queen cells burried in honey comb
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »
I want to know from someone who is experience in raising quality queens.

I have a strong cell builder/finisher and I should have left them a little overhead storage space.  Hence the nectar flow really kicked in and are burrying the queen cells in honey comb.

Can I carefully free the queen cell from the bulk of the honey comb then place them in a nuk and expect the queens to hatch?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Large queen cells burried in honey comb
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:39:04 pm »
Yes, Here are instructions written by iddee:

Start with a drawn frame. About 2 inches apart, cut at a 45 degree angle, vertically, 2 cuts. The 45 making the bottom of the cuts come out touching each other. Now cut across top and bottom and remove the V shaped comb.

Then cut the same size from the cell frame, with the cell in the center of it. Set the cell into the drawn frame and mash the edges in enough to secure it.

The bees will make the repairs.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:48:46 pm »
They often start building comb around the queen cells. Luckily it's fresh soft comb and can usually be gently pried away from the cell. If you carefully handle the cells (no gloves for sure on this) you can cut the new comb away with a sharp knife.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:44:15 pm »
Yes.

Thanks Scott!

I was dilligent in removing the the comb and gave them a little room and things are sorted out.  It seems I lost a couple of the larger cells due to damage and need to be more carefull next time.

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:17:40 am »
It looks like the bees know where the queen cell ends and they broomed the wax back a bit.

All is well in this department.