Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello and wanting to harvest in NW Georgia  (Read 1356 times)

Offline queenwright

• Brood
Hello and wanting to harvest in NW Georgia
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:49:41 pm »
Hi! my husband and I are into our 2nd season with bees (first to take off honey).  We are very new and excited to learn anything we can to be successful with our colonies.  We went out today to harvest out of our full super, but decided against it.  We felt that the girls needed to do a little more capping.  Hopefully next weekend will be busy for us.  A friend said that in our area he usually harvests around Memorial Day holiday.  Anyone have any other ideas of when to harvest?  I was planning on spinning it out and then putting the super and frames back on.  I think that they would get excited and fill it up again quick.  Any suggesstions...... :angel:
queenwright

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Hello and wanting to harvest in NW Georgia
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »
You can take it as soon as it is 90% capped but I wait for it all (100%) to be.
I am going to be more conservative this year taking honey later, after July. I nearly starved my hive(newbee mistake). So yeah, go right ahead. Your plan sounds fine to me.

Oh, welcome to the forum. :)
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:28:42 pm »
Keep in mind, everything seems to be about a month behind down here. I still have gallberry flowers here in N FL.that is way late. I have not seen any palmetto flowers yet, buds, yes, flowers, no.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:04:01 pm »
I worked a couple of hive today.  One didn't have a lot, I took a little. The other hive had lots.  There hive has a single deep, 4 mediums all ten frames.  They were all full with brood, capped and some un capped honey.   I took 2 supers, the others had some brood or uncapped honey.  I try not to take uncapped honey and I try to leave them plenty.  Last year I didn't take any.  I would say to take what you think they can do with out.  And if the flow is still going good you can take more.  Down here I think people have one extraction now, possibly a little earlier and another in July.  Then leave the rest for the bees to winter on.  Good Luck

Joe

anything