Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2nd Super, Shallow or Deep  (Read 2062 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
2nd Super, Shallow or Deep
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »
As you may know on my other post I mentioned that I had got some bees about 10 days ago. Today after doing some other stuff I came home, suited up and open the hive for the check up. I was looking for destructive critters, the queen/pollen/nectar/brood. I found all three but not critters.

There are 8 frames in there. Comb was being drawn out on 6 of the 8. I'm sure I need to add another super (right?). My question is should it be a deep or a shallow super or 30 11 half dozen of the nother?

I'm thinking deep for more brood but with a shallow they should be able to fill it up quicker helping to keep the pest at bay. Is my novice logic flawed?

thanks
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: 2nd Super, Shallow or Deep
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:27 pm »
OK the 2 not being drawn are the two on the sides.  switch places with them and ones with honey in them.  If they are just beginning to draw the six frames you may be able to wait a little longer.  Your hive now is a single 8 frame deep, right.  Then when you add another, I would add another deep for brood.  I am running two, 10 frame deep brood supers.  With the 8 frames your supers want bee quite as heavy.  Good luck

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »
I'm sorry I thought I mentioned that. Yes, the two not being worked right now are the two on the sides, one on each side. thanks
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:00 pm »
no problem, thats usually were they are.

Joe

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:36 am »
As you may know on my other post I mentioned that I had got some bees about 10 days ago. T

oday after doing some other stuff I came home, suited up and open the hive for the check up. I was looking for destructive critters, the queen/pollen/nectar/brood. I found all three but not critters.

There are 8 frames in there. Comb was being drawn out on 6 of the 8.

You do not tell, that is that hive, swarm, package, nuc or what.
after 10 days 6/8 foundation has been drawn. It tells that the colony is not very strong and it has done its job.
Colony cannot continue its job larger and larger, unless it gets new bees and colony grows.
As long as hive has undrawn foundations, you need not to think to enlarge the hive.
If the hive is package, it takes 4 weeks that colony starts to enlarge, up to that the bee number will go to half.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Bee Busters

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:59:05 am »
I agree, I would wait a little while to let them build up some more, then add another Deep box.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 03:24:20 am »
I agree, I would wait a little while to let them build up some more, then add another Deep box.

If the colony is not a nuc, and it has not continuous flow of emerging bees, you cannot add more space.
It only ruins the hive. If added space is under brood, it does not harm much, but bees are unable to protect empty box.

A beekeeper MUST first learn to know basic facts, how the colony builds up. It does not help to be "positive".
Beekeeping knowledge is so that beek knows the natural cycle of behive. The bug is wild animal, and the beek must be sensitive to the natural course of the hive.

You can do what ever to the hive, but that way you will never become a beekeeper.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:53 am »
It was a three pound package. I wasn't sure exactly what to do that's why posted this thread.

I was very grateful to see what I saw and didn't want them to get over crowded but also I didn't think it would happen this quick (10 days)

>You can do what ever to the hive, but that way you will never become a beekeeper<. (WTH?)

Finski; if you can't talk to folks no better than that then don't ever reply to any of my questions. I didn't just come up with some extra money and figured I spend it on bees. I have done a lot of research.  I was raised on a farm, livestock, crops, garden, orchards, ect. I know you have to take care of stuff.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:05 am »
It was a three pound package. I wasn't sure exactly what to do that's why posted this thread.

I was very grateful to see what I saw and didn't want them to get over crowded but also I didn't think it would happen this quick (10 days)

>You can do what ever to the hive, but that way you will never become a beekeeper<. (WTH?)

Finski; if you can't talk to folks no better than that then don't ever reply to any of my questions. I didn't just come up with some extra money and figured I spend it on bees. I have done a lot of research.  I was raised on a farm, livestock, crops, garden, orchards, ect. I know you have to take care of stuff.

Finski is from well..... Finski . He has been know to ruffle a few feathers with his use of the English language and manner. He speaks two languages, I speak one, Catch my drift. I do not think he means any harm just a unique way with putting words sometimes  :-D

Not trying to be rude but better to chill or ignore till you get your feet wet and on the ground. In forum posting that is. Then just choose whose advice you choose to listen too.

Oh yea I got side tracked. You say 8 frames -- I suppose deeps? You mention deeps in title etc. Are you going to run 8 frame shallows. That would usually mean 7 shallow frames in a super later down the road?  Do you by any chance have mediums? If so stay with mediums.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:53:04 am by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »
 sc-bee - as the old drunk said.., "I've been kicked out of bigger churches than this"

Thanks for your advice and I'll take it. I can't answer your question because to be frank I'll have to look at the paper work. I want to say I have two 8 frame deeps and one 8 frame shallow. From what I've gathered it will probably be best to just give it a little more time. However, by looking at the frames the hive looked pretty strong in numbers. Numerous bees on six of the eight frames, pretty much on both sides as well. It would make sense to have the two biggest ones for brood. Thanks again.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:36:12 pm »
With eight frame deeps yes two for brood. I wish I had gone with eight  frame all mediums. Or even ten mediums.
John 3:16