Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost Three Hives in past Week  (Read 1214 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Lost Three Hives in past Week
« on: April 27, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »
Inspected hives a week back and booming. Two were my strongest hives. This AM checked the six hives I have at a friends farm on 300 acres and three were all but gone. Ask my friend if had had sprayed anything out of the usual and found out a week back the power company started spraying the powerlines just a short distance from the hives but not close enough for any direct hit. The cone looked healthy and have alot of uncapped honey and just a handful of bees left. Was planning on moving more hives there this week but kinda getting my bearings after the loss. Going to move what I can until I figure it out.  :(
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
Re: Lost Three Hives in past Week
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:58:23 pm »
Sorry to hear that Blanc... :(   Blah --- that would make me sick to my stomach...
Marshall

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:22:36 pm »
Sorry to here that. Definitely sounds like some type of spraying in the area to lose them in a week.
Who Dat!!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:50:08 pm »
Get in touch with the power company to (at the least) inform them of the event and find out what chem they sprayed. They may stay clear in the future or at least let you know their spray schedule so you can take measures to prevent poisoning in the future. You might convince them to spray late evening too.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »
Sorry for you loss. Hope you get it figured out.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:30:35 pm »
That totally sucks.....I'm sorry this happened.....

NP
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:50:18 pm »
Why would the power company be spraying an insecticide?  I can see a herbicide like Roundup to keep weeds out of the transformers/lines, but roundup doesn’t kill bees does it?  I’ve never seen any ill effect from roundup.  Could it be fungal treatments on your farmers crops?  Neo Nics?

Sorry for your losses.  :(

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:41:59 am »
Thanks for the responses everyone. They should have notified my buddy who's property it is just for the fact he has quite a farm type garden setup and did not. He is waiting to see if his plants die. As far as the herbicide question it was probably sprayed directly on bees as they foraged and the width of the spray was 300 ft wide and a couple miles just in the first section. Talked with another beek I met yesterday just a mile down the street and he reported some losses too. There are numerous farmers in the area that could have crop damage with the winds carrying it. Just plain irresponsible on the part of vegetation controller for the power company. The stuff is powerful enough to kill trees as we saw yesterday. Keeping a close eye on the other three back there.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

anything