Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kind of bees do you keep?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: What kind of bees do you keep?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:49 pm »
ditto on the welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »
Mutts? I am very selective on the bees I allow to grant me honey. I only raise Apis dorsata and apis mellifera mellifera, with strict instructions not to mate or inseminate with inferior genetics from other species. In fact, I have a genetics tester at the entrance that tests every bee that comes or goes into the hive and those without perfect genetic sequencing is swatted aside be a mechanical arm if it tries to enter...this prevents robbing as well which is a bonus.

:wink:

heh no seriously, mine are surely all mutts by now also, but I introduced a lot of italian and russian genes into the pools, thats for sure. I know at the minimal they are multi year winter and mite survival stock though and that is all I really care about really.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 11:38:05 pm »
Durn.

I was going to ask where you found Dorsata...
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 01:44:28 am »
I can buy the dark bees that the breeder calls Carniolan, and the packages with golden bees that they call Italian, the MN Hygienic, the VSH Gold, and even Old SOl, and what I usually end up with is the American Tiger queen with beautiful stripes.. so... Mutts here too!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.