Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Popsicle starter strips  (Read 6461 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Popsicle starter strips
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:17:35 am »
I had a question or two about this technique. I purchased some sticks. Do I just put one in groove and glue? or do i need to put a stick along entire lenght of frame top? If I put more then one stick in groove, do they need to be trimmed so they dont overlap a little at the ends of eacg stick?? Is it better to also put some on bottom as well?
thanx in advance
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Popsicle starter strips
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:26:41 am »
I use the popsicle sticks for comb honey.  I just put them in the entire length of the frame and glued.  I used regular sized popsicle sticks and found that they are not wide enough, almost being completely engulfed by the groove, so I let them hang 1/2 way out.  I think tongue depressors would work better to get them completely into the groove.

If I put more then one stick in groove, do they need to be trimmed so they dont overlap a little at the ends of eacg stick??

I didn't have to.  You may find that you have an inch or two on either side that the sticks don't cover, but that is fine.  They will most likely build on that anyway.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:21:20 pm »
I put Popsicle sticks all the way across the top and one in the center in the bottom so they will be able to attach it to something faster, but i think you only need 2 in the top. I also used the jumbo Popsicle sticks that are about twice the size of the regular ones and my bees are building on them nicely right now.

Offline marliah

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:55:20 pm »
I use jumbo craft sticks, just glue them in the top groove, side by side (typically takes 2 a 3/4 sticks). I do nothing on the bottom. And so far so good. My girls have built up wonderful natural comb on all the frams in the first brood box without any issues, and its well attached, those sticks (IMO anyway) are just to give them something to start on. Once they fill those frames in that comb is well glued on ;)

I'll try to get some pics to post in the next couple weeks (when I add my super). Some of the comb they have built, and some of the technique I used putting my frames together.
Tara
beekeeper in central Maine
Finally getting bees again! 6/12/13

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:59 am »
I had a question or two about this technique. I purchased some sticks. Do I just put one in groove and glue? or do i need to put a stick along entire lenght of frame top? If I put more then one stick in groove, do they need to be trimmed so they dont overlap a little at the ends of eacg stick?? Is it better to also put some on bottom as well?
thanx in advance

3 fit between the end bars and that's what I use.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:43:25 pm »
All the way across.  The bottom doesn't matter, but won't hurt.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:57:51 pm »
I remove the wedge from the frame, turn it 90 degrees and staple it back on to the frame. Works great.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 02:16:03 pm »
I remove the wedge from the frame, turn it 90 degrees and staple it back on to the frame. Works great.

Hey, that's a great idea!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:31:42 pm »

I do that too on the wedge style of top bar, on grooved top bars I put in 3 popsicle sticks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline NHKelly99

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 01:40:33 am »
Can you use popsicle sticks in the same super as foundation or do you have to choose between methods? I have just put my second hive body on and am planning on adding a super after they fill this.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:12:18 pm »
You can put them in there. Also you can put just an empty frame, no sticks, starter strips or nuthin', between two drawn out combs and they will do just fine drawing it out.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 02:26:57 pm »
>between two drawn out combs and they will do just fine drawing it out.

But only between either capped honey or brood combs.  Not a whole box of them and not between drawn comb that isn't capped.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 05:01:16 pm »
>between two drawn out combs and they will do just fine drawing it out.

But only between either capped honey or brood combs.  Not a whole box of them and not between drawn comb that isn't capped.

Otherwise the bees will draw of the edges of the top bars and draw double combs on every other frame.  Makes a nice mess to clean up.  I'd advise always using some type of guide in foundationless frames, popsicle sticks, balsa slats, cordex strips, wax strips....something to lessen the headaches of burr and bridge comb.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »
>Otherwise the bees will draw of the edges of the top bars and draw double combs on every other frame.

Exactly.
-------------------

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:14:21 am »

>Q--Do you start a whole super of 10 Popsicle stick frames, or do you alternate the popsicle stick frames with frames of drawn foundation?

>A--I often do a whole box of foundationless frames. I sometimes, if it's handy, put a drawn comb in the center to get them headed in the right direction. One frame with foundation would probably serve the same purpose. I would not alternate with foundation.

I'm confused again but of course it doesnt take much :? Is it good or not to put a whole box of foundationless on at one time or did I not understand???
John 3:16

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:54:39 am »
It's fine to put a whole box of foundationless on at once.  It helps the bees get started right if you can put one drawn comb in the middle, but it's not required.  It also provides a ladder of sorts into the new box and encourages the bees to move up. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:07:11 am »
I have put whole boxes of frames with just the wood (wedge turned and stapled in) and they drew them out just fine. I do melt a little wax onto these pieces of wood.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:43:57 pm »
I tried a whole box of frames w/wedges turned in a shallow. I placed it between two other drawn supers (capped and capping). I got zero---notta???
John 3:16

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 10:10:03 pm »
I must not be doing the popsicle trick right - in boxes with both starter strips on some frames and popsicle sticks on others, the bees act as though the frames with the popsicle sticks do not exist and do not build ANYTHING in the frame.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 11:10:27 pm »
My bees are happy on just the wax starter strips and have so far drawn out straight beautiful comb. Hope they keep it up.