Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee larvae  (Read 10575 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Bee larvae
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:41:54 pm »
My bees are pulling out larvae. I just took a look and they pulled out 16 white undeveloped bees you could see the head and legs but no wings. Last night it got down to 28 the high today 40. Please tell me this is normal. They have a full medium of capped honey last time I checked About 2 weeks ago.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: Bee larvae
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:48:18 pm »
Happened to me too.  Happened last year also but lived to be the strongest hives in my apiary.  Probably just chill brood that died in the cold snap.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:49:26 pm »
Maybe a little chilled brood.
John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:28 pm »
Happened to me too.  Happened last year also but lived to be the strongest hives in my apiary.  Probably just chill brood that died in the cold snap.

Sean Kelly

Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:04:27 pm »
Thank's every one first year and scared sh--less.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:29 pm »
I had the same thing about 3 or 4 weeks ago,  Looked like drones, but perfectly made in white wax.  When I posted a query I was reassured that it is pretty normal.  My problem now is that I'm seeing 20 or 30 dead workers on the landing board every day.  Is that a high attrition number??  I thought that today, being in the 50s after a couple weeks of cold, I'd see some cleansing flighs, but nothing....

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:39:10 am »
josbees,
20 or 30 is no concern.

Don't let those drone larvae go to waste. Eat them raw, or fry them up. They taste good and leave hust a hint of chestnut in your mouth.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:10:07 am »
Don't let those drone larvae go to waste. Eat them raw, or fry them up. They taste good and leave hust a hint of chestnut in your mouth.  :-D

OK, Bjornbee has snapped!!! Yich.....smiling.  Sounds like something my Husband would do, on a dare, along with the asparagus beetles and cut worms!!!  Beautiful day in this great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:56:44 pm »

OK, Bjornbee has snapped!!! Yich.....smiling.  Sounds like something my Husband would do, on a dare, along with the asparagus beetles and cut worms!!!  Beautiful day in this great life, health.  Cindi

As gross as this sounds I bet stir fried bee larvae is not as bad as you think.

Ok, now this may seem really gross but who here has tasted bee larvae? I have.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »

...JP

It might not be so bad with either a ginger or teriyaki sauce. I'd need water chestnuts and a few other known crunchy things in it, just in case.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:40:02 pm »

...JP

It might not be so bad with either a ginger or teriyaki sauce. I'd need water chestnuts and a few other known crunchy things in it, just in case.

A good stir fry mix of veggies works great.  Dribble a little soy sauce over it,,,yum.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »
JP,
I have had many of them.... :-D

And I'm serious, they have a hint of chestnut aftertaste. Very good!
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:11:12 pm »
OK, you are all sick puppies!!!!  Smiling, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:38 am »
JP,

Do you cook them?

...JP

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:21:53 am »
JP,

Do you cook them?

...JP

I never did cooking myself. I did see it on a cooking show. And I remember seeing something about chocolate covered bees also.

I have ate many fresh larvae and pupae from pulled drones.

Last year at two meeting, we had many "new" beekeepers taste tham for the first time. And everyone agreed, that they were good.

Think about it....your working long hours in the bee yard. Your hungry. It's lunch time. You have honey, bee larvae, propolis,..... doesn't get any better than that....  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 08:43:38 am »
Last time I checked the grocery store there was a great selection of meats.  I'm not concerned enough about finding protein sources to start eating my bees!  Ick! :shock:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 10:32:43 am »
Last time I checked the grocery store there was a great selection of meats.  I'm not concerned enough about finding protein sources to start eating my bees!  Ick! :shock:

There will come a day (hopefully not) where the earth is way, way beyond its carrying capacity and real estate becomes endangered, yes trees, forests, woods, etc...

This may seem a little far fetched but it is happening and has been occurring for many yrs now. Forests as you know are disappearing, animals are disappearing.

With modern advances people are living longer and longer and we keep having more babies and more babies, our precious earth can only support so much.

Alternative food sources are not a new concept, you in fact can buy cooked and I believe raw insects in some countries, I know for a fact some of the Asian ones.

So, with this information, I often come across certain insects that I wonder would make a decent alternative food source. Insects as we all know are high in protein, many are low in fat as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't make a habit of trying them, I'm still at the curious what that would taste like stage, but I have heard about bee larvae, particularly the pupae being an insect that apparently many people have tried, so, I tried one or two, raw, wasn't the end of the world either.

I do have my standards however, no smelly insects nor ones that ooze vial secretions, other than that, certain insects don't seem like they would be any worse to eat than a lot of the things we incorporate into our diets now.

Bon Appetite!

...JP

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 12:18:04 pm »
Good Source of Proteins, brings to mind when I was a child, I saw documentaries on the Zulus and their way of life, they eat Larvae of many insects by the millions, Cindi is right, Yich  :-X

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 02:57:43 pm »
WOW, This really is going to be a long winter isn't it! :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 07:52:01 pm »
WOW, This really is going to be a long winter isn't it! :-D

Bee pupae roasting on an open fire...

...JP ;)

anything