Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using migratory covers  (Read 3213 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Using migratory covers
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:11:29 pm »
I am putting together a wish list for Christmas. I can make 2 or 3 migratory covers for the price of 1 telescoping outer cover. I have never used migratory covers before, and wondered if you use an inner cover under it like you do with a tel. outer cover. If so, I will add inner covers to the wish list. If not, I'll add something else. Thanks!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Using migratory covers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
You do not need inner covers with migratory covers.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:31:38 pm »
you don't need them.  i  use them because they are good for putting jar feeders on and they are a little extra protection in winter.  if you find you want them later, you can make them easily.  some that i have were given to me and were homemade. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »
Thanks! Now I can add something different to my wish list!! :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:30:39 am »
Ive built several migratory covers for my nucs and some for the 10 frames. Havent used them yet though to have an opinion either way. I just got tired of building the telescoping covers and bending sheet metal to cover them.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:46:15 am »
We cut simple covers from form plywood (plastic coated on both sides) and drill a 2 3/4 hole to accept feed (mason) jars. When not feeding we just plug the hole with a blank jar top.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:10 am »
We cut simple covers from form plywood (plastic coated on both sides) and drill a 2 3/4 hole to accept feed (mason) jars. When not feeding we just plug the hole with a blank jar top.

Scott

Do you ever have problems with rain leaking in around the jar lids? Ive thought about doing that but didnt know about potential leaking issues.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:50:47 am »
you put an empty box and cover over.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:45 pm »
If the hole is sized right for your lids they don't leak...or at least not enough to worry about down here.
The bees propolize the lids down after a few days anyway.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything