Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screened bottom board... in winter  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Screened bottom board... in winter
« on: June 30, 2004, 09:14:36 pm »
Hi All,
I'm in Upstate NY, where the winters can get pretty cold. Below zero for a couple of weeks at a time is not uncommon. The last two winters have been especially rough, and the upcoming one may be as well.

So, do you use a solid or screened board through the winter?

I know how important ventilation is. On the other hand, I would think that screened board would be clogged by snow anyway for at least part of the winter.
Lesli

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 09:29:52 pm »
I was talking witha guy from the local association. (I'm in VA)
He said closed in the winter for here.
Your winters are worse, I used to live on LI and I know upstate can see some cold stuff
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 09:31:45 pm »
Lesli,

My SBB are takeoffs of the plans on BeeSource which are designed for the slid in tray to seal off the opening.  I just leave the tray in all winter.  An upper entrance is the most important thing for winter ventilation. It allows the warm moist air to escape without condensing on the inner cover.  Dampness is what kills the bees, not the cold.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Screened bottom board... in winter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 11:17:20 pm »
Quote from: Lesli
Hi All,
 Below zero for a couple of weeks at a time is not uncommon.

So, do you use a solid or screened board through the winter?

I know how important ventilation is. On the other hand, I would think that screened board would be clogged by snow anyway for at least part of the winter.

I live in Finland. I use sealed bottom and upper openings. When upper opening is closed nosema will attac on bees.

Many frofessional farmer use grid bottom during winter. Also they use often polystyrene boxes.  Grid bottom is good also when we handle varroa with acid vapour at autumn.

We have snow 4-5 months and frost -10 to -25C. When autumn comes bees do not come out during end of September  to middle of Marsch.

One good idea I am going to work out is slanting bottom. Rubbish will move towards opening and concensated water will go out.

I have used polystyrene boxes since 1987 and htis system has moisture and mold problems on the bottom.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 08:43:16 am »
Thanks all, that's very helpful. I'll make sure that there's ventilation on top, and put in the solid bottom board for winter.
Lesli