Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bottom entrance BB  (Read 4226 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Bottom entrance BB
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:54:38 pm »
look at this entrance, has anyone heard of or ever used this style bottom board. it looks like it might have some advantages.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/freefiles/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline livetrappingbymatt

• New Bee
bottum entrance
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 07:15:46 pm »
made something similar,just a screen botton board,made w/hardware cloth.
did not close for winter.
hive is 1 med/ 1 deep.
checked last week,bees were strong,will check again if weather is warm in feb.
will report.
bob

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Bottom entrance BB
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:28:18 pm »
I have screen bottom boards but nothing with a entrance like this, Im going to build a few and try them out.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bottom entrance BB
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:17:45 pm »
look at this entrance, has anyone heard of or ever used this style bottom board. it looks like it might have some advantages.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/freefiles/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf

Yes, I did look at this site, it looks like a great idea.  I see that you, TwT said in a following post that you were going to make some with this design.  Did you?  If you did, did not find them alot of work to construct, any better than just a "normal" screened bottomboard.  I presently have on all my colonies solid bottomboards and really believe that from what I am hearing I need desperately to revise this practice and go for the SBB.  I did purchase at the end of last summer a product called "varroa-nator" which is a SBB with plastic sides, I did not get instructions on how to apply this to the hive, I think I may have lost them actually.  So, I think that I did recall that this was placed on the traditional bottomboard but rotated 360 degrees.  I have zero experience with SBB, but don't they have NO bottom, other than the hardware cloth (??).  I get the impression that the SBB allows the varroas to fall right onto the ground, never to climb back up into the hive.  It sounds like using SBB certainly makes a difference with colony strength, probably helps with heat issues as well.  Can advice be given on this matter.  Thanks.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:52:18 pm »
It appears to me as if someone is trying to get many of the advantages of using a SBB and the removable tray with the tray being removable.  I make my SBB so that 2X4's a laid on their side.  I like the skookum (strong) aspect of the bottom board but feel that my design gives a bigger foot print for hive stability (although 80 mph is high by anybodies count) and that my slatted rack design provides the "Floor battan" plus additional advantages. Mine are simpler to make.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 01:06:44 pm »

Entrance is guite complicated. To me it is important to se how much bees ventilate the hive. If hive is cold, there are any ventilators. If ventilating need is big, I see it from entrance.

anything