Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught Some Fish, Caught Some Bees---May, 2009  (Read 7369 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Caught Some Fish, Caught Some Bees---May, 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 12:30:23 am »
Oops silly me.  Yes those boats meeting there is the annual fish killing. Well I thought it was the fish catching but perhaps it is the fish killing as well.

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 09:24:03 am »
Yes, they sure do not turn them loose in the river again. They used to toss them into a big hole and bury them. Now that they are paying for the fish (at the processing plant) I suppose there will be a lot more people catching them.

The rivers here are flooding my parents out of their home and I lost some hives that I had placed near a levee. I could not see the white from the hives at all last night, so they are gone. I have been busy sandbagging and helping my parents move to higher ground.

I was supposed to do a trapout this morning, but now I am needed sandbagging and moving things from my parent's house. The river is not going to crest for some time yet and there are fish in their front yard.

Brenda

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 12:39:14 pm »
Oh Brenda, that is a saddening thing.  I wish you and your parents well, I hope that things settle down with the water, my thoughts are there.  Have a great day, keepin' that chin up, try to find the bright side....health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 02:39:44 pm »
Brenda, I'm very sorry to hear of your parent's house and all of the flooding. I had to go through it after Katrina hit, so I can sympathize with you on this.

Best of luck to you and yours, y'all please keep safe.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »
Cindi,

The bright side of the flooding is that my house is still on dry land and I had a lot of fun bowfishing! The river is slowly going back down, but has been over flood level since Feb. This is the longest that it has been above floodstage that I can remember...or about anyone else it seems.

JP,

I hauled in water and supplies after Katrina hit; same whem Andrew hit Florida.
I stayed with some friends in La. and helped them pick up and rebuild again.

Thank you all for the kind words and support. The mosquito population is now getting a great start! I tought they were going to eat me up alive last night.

No word on the state of my flooded hives, nor has anyone even seen anything of them yet. I was hoping that they did not float away, but I cannot see anything white where they should be.

I also have a few questions about reusing flooded supers and hive bodies....it is okay to reuse them? I was wondering about contamination, molds, etc. I know that I will have to toss all of the frames, but I kind of would like to keep the hive bodies and supers if I could....most were new this year.

Brenda