Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russian Queen Introduction  (Read 4294 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Russian Queen Introduction
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:54 pm »
Hello everyone,
    Can I get some advice on introducing Russian Queens into Italian workers.  I have read that its harder to get the workers to accept the queen.  Any thoughts, comments?  Thanks.

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Russian Queen Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:21 am »
David, place the queen in her cage on top of the hive, cover off. Observe the bees. If they are biting at her, this isn't good, but this hive which we're talking about, if indeed is 100% queenless for fact, wants a queen to unite with. They will more than likely surround her and accept her, so I don't believe you will have a problem. I don't know the specifics of the hive in question, but I imagine you have done your homework, and have deduced that the hive is queenless and doesn't have a laying worker. Observe the bees as they surround the queen, if things look fine, then place her inside the hive, still in her cage. If you want to you can leave her in the cage for a couple of days or so, as long as she has attendants that are either in the cage with her or whereby the bees in the hive can attend to her. Not sure what type of queen cage she'll be in, do you know? Push in type, or plastic cage? After a few days you can remove the plug and let her out into the hive, things should be fine.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:29:34 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:47 am »
Thanks guys, yes I believe she will come in a wooden type cage.  I forgot to mention these are new packages due in April.  I had tried a Russian Queen once before in a new package and they killed her, perhaps because I released her too early.  Anyway we are going to give it another shot.  I have a friend who is letting me set some hives on his place so Russians will be away from my Italian hives.  Just looking for better ways to control mites, without chemicals.   

David

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:55:14 pm »
leave her in her cage with the cork still in and put in the hive, leave about 3-4 days then remove the cork on the candy side and let them release her. she will be fine
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
I followed Mr. Bush's link and found the following statement higher on the page..."Many beginners couldn't find a queen if you marked, her, clipped her and put her on one frame for them to find her, and even an experienced beekeeper in a well populated hive on a given day may have trouble finding one."   
Personally, I don't think I could find the queen if you dipped her in red paint and tied a miniature bouquet of balloons to one of her legs. :shock: :-D :-D

Ya'll have a great weekend.

I can't wait to see what happens in Tillie's hive with the outed queen.

Steve

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:09 pm »
the purer the russian queen longer you need to keep i cage. I recommend least a week before removeing the cork on candy end. some hybreds can be released sooner. spray cage with lemmon grass and they accept lot quicker. 1-2 drops in 4 oz. sugar water does the trick.
 Don

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:48 pm »
Thanks guys, That sounds like a logical idea Don, with the lemongrass oil.   

anything