Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The most joyfull/painfull day  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Destruckdoz

• New Bee
The most joyfull/painfull day
« on: May 01, 2005, 01:06:27 am »
Hello
So me and my dad finally got our order of 4 packaged bee's. I drove 200 miles (400 total) to get these bee's and once I got home we were so eager to put install them in our hives that we forgot to dress appropriately, though a joy to install them, i must have gotten stung atleast 20 times when they flew into my shirt. This eagerness comes from 3 years of wanting to start my own hive but having no time (college) and my dad having 25 years of envy of others with bee's and failed attempts that now we finally have some to start with (we caught a wild swarm that split from a hollow tree on our farm, but when the occupying bee's left, the swarm we caught moved back into the tree). So thats a little about our history and our first day with packaged bee's, we still have 2 that havent been installed because we still have to put together 2 more hives, any suggestions for two newbies? thanks

Danny

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 02:25:27 am »
yes, wear a bee suit!!!! :D

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 06:52:48 am »
Just make sure the packages that you haven't installed have plenty of food. You can always make 1:1 syrup and spritz it lightly on the bees.

How did you install the queens?
Lesli

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 09:21:28 am »
well you met your quota for the initiation  :lol:  good for you and dont let anyone say going 200 miles is ecentric on getting bees I went 278 miles for mine in a convertable said I was going to get the Dorwen award  :roll:  lol only advice I can give is to read everything see everything you can on this and most of all jst have fun as I was told your learning everyday. There is a good log book for Excel someone placed in here if you can use it on your computer I suggest getting it.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
I just installed three packages of bees with only a veil. No stings.
John was the first person I inspected a hive with and he taught me that calm diliberate movements and having those movements planned out in your head really do keep the girls calmer. I sprayed them with a one to one sugar water mixture and it all went smoothly.
I posted about it here.
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2570&highlight=3+hive+dump
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:59:18 am »
I hope soon to get to that point on just a veil, gloves

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 01:21:33 pm »
I wore my veil and got no stings but my friend who wore his gloves, veil, and leg protectors got stung 3 times, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 08:12:19 am »
The other day I was stung THROUGH my suit.

Yesterday I felt my suit sticking to my pants and realized a bee's barb was holding them together.

Quote from: Horns Pure Honey
I wore my veil and got no stings but my friend who wore his gloves, veil, and leg protectors got stung 3 times, bye :D

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 05:02:39 pm »
I had a worker get inside my veil yesterday.   Right in front of my eyes.   But still no sting.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 09:32:42 am »
When I installed my 2 packages I did not wear my veil ,suit or gloves. The first package went well no stings. The second was another story. Several sting to the back of the neck sent me into the barn to suit up.

Rich V