Welcome, Guest

Poll

is it too late in year to do trapouts?

never again
0 (0%)
no way
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: trapout fail  (Read 3598 times)

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
trapout fail
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:07:46 pm »
Reporting results of [ Cleo Hogan] trapout.Trap was attached to oak tree for over 3 months,hive was full of bees for most of the time until hot weather resulted in bees massing on outside of hive for about 10 days or so.Then they swarmed and left the trap hive and the oak tree also.So i think i can safely say Cleo Hogan method does not work on Oregon bees.Here are some pics of setup before swarm. :oops:

So IDDEE You were !!RIGHT!!
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: trapout fail
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
3 months seems like a long time.. maybe you should have tried in the first week or two to get the queen?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:03:37 pm »
After the first week of not working, you should have change the plan.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:29 pm »
What's the Cleo Hogan method?

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:52:28 pm »
DUCK,queen must come out before as you put it, You can get her. Queen never came out until they swarmed.Hive was attached to tree so that bees had to go through hive to get into oak tree hive.Hole was too small to even get your hand in very far,but large enough for the 30,000 or so bees that were in hive.Man that owned tree did not want it damaged. :-x
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
This reply for ALLENF, and what do you suggest could have ben done if bees are not building in trapout hive? Just going through hive to oak tree.See Pics.Had old brood comb and honey comb with honey still caped in comb in one frame.They ate the honey and chewed the old comb some.???? :shock:

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:28 am »
did you have brood/eggs in there?

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:28:19 am »
Did the bees swarm or did they abscund?Are there any bees left in the tree? Did you have a frame of brood to attract the queen into the super? Did the queen ever lay in the super? 

You could improve your setup by placing the back of the super closer to the tree.  The short and darker the tunnel the better.   

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:35:10 pm »
You have to have a one way tunnel ( a cone) so they can't get back in. see Iddee's trap out method. It works ,I know. Did 4 this year.

This house was full of bees, at the end of trap (no bees coming out ),I installed a containment box on the cone and tried to trap the queen and pint of so of bees remaining , It worked  ,you can see the vinyl tube going from cone to box (bee package with a small cone inside  to keep bees inside box).Feeding from top with half-pint jar. or water. week later sealed up.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 02:40:42 pm »
JPBEEGETTER: Thanks i looked at the pics,i assume the cone you are talking about is attached to the inside of the trap box.Also why use two boxes,or are they connected some way with a hole? :shock:

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »
No , the top box as I explained is a containment box to catch any remaining bees and/or the queen , after the trap-out is complete. The cone is against the house. To it is attached a vinyl 1 1/4" tube that goes to the box, wich in turn has a cone in it also to keep bees in box and are fed from top via 1/2 pint jar. the nuc is from the trap-out and is just there as a hive. Bees can not go into it except out of the air like a regular hive...

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:10:34 pm »
No , the screened box is a containment box seperate from the trap-out nuc. The nuc was the last box of the trap, used three 5 frame nucs collecting bees. the screened box is what I call a containment box, catches the remaining bees and/or the queen. This is at the end of the trap out.  It is made from a bee package with the side that will let down to remove bees. It is attached to the trap out cone on side of house then via vinyl 1 1/4'" tubing  to the box, which also has a small cone inside the box  to keep bees inside the box. Look closely at pic and you will see this...

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »
 understand now?  that is about as simple as I can explain it..  Joel.
If you have never done a succesful trap out  and not many have  go to  Iddee's explanition and study it well... His work...

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:05 pm »
JPBEEGETTER; Thanks for explaining, I looked again at pics and also watched [iddees] video, next time i will do it that way.With a little luck i will take bees home. :-D