Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen introduction-lethargic hive  (Read 1944 times)

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
queen introduction-lethargic hive
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:46:22 pm »
Installed 4# package April 10th- no brood yet- couple capped cells at edage of frame- no queen cells
Colony builing out comb on new pierco frames- not taking syrup very quickly- quart a week. 
Have some cells in middle that  are totally empty of syrup
No larvae that I can see.  Bees extremely gentle but bee traffic pretty light going in and out-  seem to have stopped bringing in pollen

problem is what to do now- don't have 2nd hive to add brood.  Is it worth it to get a queen and try direct release with HBH?

Or just tough it out and see if queen starts laying.- wait till colony dies out and then try and add package later......... or next year.....

Recommendations for queen sources would be helpful- live in Eastern PA

Would have thought would have had worker brood at least by now if no queen. 

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: queen introduction-lethargic hive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:39:41 pm »
You might check with other beeks in your area.  Their hives might be built up enough so they would sell you a couple of frames of brood.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »
You said "no brood yet" and you did not mention seeing the queen.  I suggest looking carefully for the queen (or eggs).  I expect that you will not find her because I doubt that she is there.  If you cannot find the queen (or eggs) I would requeen.  If you do find the queen, she has some 'splaining' to do...

It is too early in the year to give up. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:23:31 pm by WOB419 »

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:28 am »
Packages, and swarms, can be funny.  I've had packages where the queen didn't start laying for several weeks after the bees were hive. Partly I think because the workers were fill the combs with nectar as fast as they could build the combs.
I've also had packages, like the 2 this year, where the bees were drawing comb (foundationless) and the queen had started laying eggs in comb that had hardly been started.  1 frames had the entire 1st row comb on the starter strip full of eggs.  Now those are go getter queens.  I like queens that will begin laying eggs in combs before the cells are complete.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:50:59 pm »
Went out this morning- finally saw eggs- 4 weeks and a couple of days after package install.  On Sunday I noticed about 20 full drawn out cells that were kept empty in middle of nectar/pollen-filled cells.  This morning there were eggs.  Eggs were at bottom but about 5% had 2 eggs- perhaps new queen or laying worker.  still cant find queen--she is all black.

i do think it is possible regarding the post of no room to lay eggs.  The bees had to build new comb and it seemed to me they were filling the comb up as fast as they built it--there was no space to lay eggs!  I already have 1-2 capped syrup cells.

Thinking about ordering another package for june delivery just in case.  Best case- i will have two hives.-  worst case-hive with a good start using remnants from hive #1

I am a bit reluctant to start second hive on pierco in light of this last experience.  might take a frame out of hive#1 to get the second hive going.

Bees are getting better at drawing out comb on pierco--very nice comb-  seeing some propolis between frames--but not too bad
Bees slowly getting used to the pierco.  Seem to be building up comb quicker no than when they started.

Colony may also be slower due to wheather??- Was rainy and cold here for 7-10 days straight.

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:43:23 pm »
I guess since the flow is on perhaps I should stop feeding them syrup...this might allow more empty cells for eggs instead of the bees packing away stores.  looking back on it- i never saw a clean cell from the beginning.  The bees were always fillling it with syrup/nectar or pollen.

Whether I have queen or queenless- couldnt hurt to take syrup off for a 5 days or so.

anything