Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introducing bees in snow storm  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Teton Bee

• New Bee
Introducing bees in snow storm
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:48:03 am »
Hello! I am new to this forum and have posted a similar post under the introductions. I am due to receive two packages of bees tomorrow--but it is snowing outside and is scheduled to snow/rain for the next 5 days at least with temperatures not getting above 45 degrees. I have built two Warre hives that I hope will provide a lot of insulation while allowing for good ventilation. I am struggling with what to do. I can install them in the hive and then keep them in a warmer greenhouse environment, but that requires that I then move the hive to its outdoor location later. The other choice of course is to put them in their hives outdoors and hope they survive the cold. They are Carnelians so I hope that is to my benefit. I have read various things about feeding just white table sugar on top of the top bars when it is too cold for syrup. But I have also built a bottom feeder that I thought I could add sugar syrup in case they take that instead. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to introduce them, to do as much as I can to help them survive, and what would be the best feed?
Thanks, I am very excited about this post and reading more about all of your experiences!
Teton Bee :lol:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Introducing bees in snow storm
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:15:44 am »
If you keep you packages in a cool dry place and feed them by spraying sugar syrup on the wires you can keep the bees for up to a week in their cages.  You can also buy some pint paint cans from the hardware store and use them to replace the feeder can that comes in the cage.  I would do both.  Cool and dry in the case of a snow storm means warm and dry.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Teton Bee

• New Bee
Re: Introducing bees in snow storm
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:43:39 am »
Brian,
Thank you so much for your advice! We have been keeping them in a dark cool (~50) place, and heating it up slightly when we spray the sugar syrup (1:1 by volume) on their cage. We tried to poor the syrup into the feeding can that came with them but because it was less viscous, it ran out rather quickly. So we are just spraying them for now. I am really anxious to get them in their hive, but we got another 2 inches of snow last night and the weather doesn't look like it will clear until Friday.

I read somewhere that feeding sugar syrup can cause dysentery, so I am worried that because they are 'trapped' this could happen. Perhaps I am being a paranoid begginer. I am also worried that spraying the cage isn't enough. When we do spray it seems like they spread out across the wire, but most are clustered in the center. How often should we spray? Do you think I should try to put baker's sugar through the screen onto the bottom of the box?

I am very tempted to put them in the hive today even with the weather being so cold. Although we received them Monday night, I think they were shipped on Sunday morning, so we are going on the 5th day with them packaged.

Again, I really appreciate all the knowledge on this forum!
Teton bee