Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Florida Honey Bee Research and Extension Lab  (Read 1525 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Florida Honey Bee Research and Extension Lab
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:10:22 pm »
Here is the link and a way to contact Jamie Ellis.  http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/honeybee/

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Florida Honey Bee Research and Extension Lab
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 05:05:05 pm »
Jamie has asked me to take the Master's course.

I was kinda hoping to teach it.  :evil:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:37:10 pm »
Brendhan, I think all beekeepers should take as many courses as they can.  And the fact that you want to teach it yourself, yea!!!!  Good for you!!!!  You have experience with teaching, I remember your posts where you have gone out and spoken to groups.  You have the gift of the gab, hee, hee, that shines through.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, take the Bee Master course, you will love it for surely.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 12:20:34 am »
Cindi,

Not to sound down to you. I firmly believe the best teacher is experience. Classes are nice and education is wonderful but experience makes the difference.
The reason I want to teach the class is because I have so much in the current educational settings I disagree with.
I tend to rock the boat so they aren't real fond of me.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:06:08 am »
Brendhan, not to beg to differ.  And I cannot agree with you more.  Experience, hands on, is the most wonderful learning tool, so is making mistakes, we learned the best from them because we do not want to repeat this.

Studying as much as you can to understand the whys and wherefores of bees, in my mind, is integral to understanding what goes on with the "hands on" experience.  That is too important to not be put on the front burner.   

I have taken courses and courses on beekeeping.  Hundreds upon hundreds of hours of reading books, studying on the research.  Now over two years of hands on beekeeping with my girls (and the boys too).

Even after this amount of studying and hands on stuff, Brendhan, I feel I am still only on the tip of that iceberg.  You have heard me say this many times, and it is true.

But....it must be put out there, that the more you know about beekeeping and how the bees work, the job becomes so much easier when you encounter things within apiculture field.  I know you like to rock the boat, that I admire, I think that is a wonderful and fantastic trait to possess.  I wish that I had a little more of this, as you do.  Say, Brendhan, wanna share some of that ability with me?  I could use some, hee, hee  ;) :) :)  Have a wonderful day, dude, I love to hear you speak.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything