Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1st year hives, 3rd deep  (Read 1965 times)

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
1st year hives, 3rd deep
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:57:27 pm »
I have first year hives with two deeps each hive packed with honey and pollen. Not much room left for brood. I will add a third deep next week.

What problems will I be letting myself in for if I leave the third deep (assuming full) on to over winter the hives on? I will super with deeps in the spring.

I would think I could move alternate frames of honey and pollen with frames of drawn comb in the spring (checkerboard) to seed my honey supers.  :?

Comments?
Thanks,
John.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: 1st year hives, 3rd deep
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »
You should concentrate to think how you get maximum honey yield.
It is not time to prepare for winter.

A hive may get 100 kg honey, and it needs only 20 kg sugar for wintering.

If the hive is stucked with honey, exract the honey away. So you get space for brood and new honey. If you do not want 100 kg honey, give it to poor people.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:48:00 pm »
Filled with honey or are you still feeding them syrup? First year hives needing a 3rd deep already? You must have had one incredible flow going on down there

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:09:29 am »
Finski,
I have honey super cell foundation in my hives and do not have an extractor. I am not sure what to do here.

Later,
John.

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 12:19:06 am »
"Filled with honey or are you still feeding them syrup? First year hives needing a 3rd deep already? You must have had one incredible flow going on down there."

VolunteerK9,
Started with B-Weaver nucs early April. Two weeks later, no drawn foundation. Went to honey super cell foundation painted with 1:1 and rubbed with wax. Fully occupied and laying two weeks later. I worked the wooden frames out, two at a time every ten days or so. No need for bees to draw wax.

I fed for about four weeks. Had a dearth for about three weeks. Now the bees are bringing in pollen evry morning. I cannot find the source. It rained once here since March.
Later,
John.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »
Cool. Sounds like they are doing well then.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »
If you leave the 3rd box on during winter you run the chance of the queen will be in the top box come spring and you will have to rotate that box to the bottom before the spring flow comes. 

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »
AllenF,
Thanks for your comment. I do not feel rotating brood boxes would be a big deal, though.
Later,
John.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 06:58:17 pm »
yes i did wait to long to add super,  i sorta got screwed by my supplier, then I had to paint and add foundation which took a few days.  not to mention I assumed foundation would be done for me like I ask. I waited almost a month for my wooden ware.  or at least for him to call me and tell me there done. this is after 6 phone calls and 2 messages and 2 emails.

anyways, i have same problem with my bottom deeps getting full of food.  I have heard many differant ways of doing it.  but is it posible to get honey this time of year?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:56 pm »
Shanevrr,
My honey stores are not decreasing. Pollen coming in on every bee in the a. m.. I do not know the source. The pollen is a dull yellow/tan yellow. Any thoughts?

Both deep brood boxes are packed full. I am putting a third deep on tomorrow morning before it gets too hot.

Later,
John.