Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Queensies  (Read 2717 times)

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
New Queensies
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:38:10 pm »
Does anyone recommend replacing a queen at the start of spring regardless of her activity the previous season?
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: New Queensies
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:52:47 pm »
Some members replace queens on a regular schedule, some only replace them when they are failing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:32:51 am »
I like to only replace queens if thier broodpattern isn't as tight as I like or, if the colony is too deffensive.  So far, I haven't had to replace a queen, the bees usually beat me to it.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:55:24 am »
Does anyone recommend replacing a queen at the start of spring regardless of her activity the previous season?

most beekeepers that change queens like to requeen in the fall so they go into winter with a young queen and it is said a young queen is less likely to swarm, I dont change queens.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline CraigW

• House Bee
  • Thunder Rolls
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 01:08:20 am »
I am new at this. This is my first winter and I panicked once already when I saw some dead bees, thinking the whole hive was dead.
I read all of Walt Wrights materials and he states that if one follows his "Nectar Management" by the letter the bees will supersede the queen.
I am committed to follow his steps in every way for the first two years, I want to see how much of the same I get that he had.
Have a great Day and Thanks!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:30:18 am »
, I want to see how much of the same I get that he had.

You will not se that. Hives are so differnet that to follow someone's ideas is not wise. What you need to learn in firts years is follow how colony developes, how it acts with flowering and temperature.  You should leanr to anticipate hat is going in the hive. Then you may prevent unwanted course of developement. But hive is not a car or machine what you may turn here and there.

supersede the queen is not worth to follow. It happens if it happen and you may notice it but it has no special meaning.

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:14:19 pm »
Okay.  I tried replacing the queen in fall since the brood pattern was pretty weak, but the next day she and her entourage were dead in their cage.
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:50:42 pm »
Okay.  I tried replacing the queen in fall since the brood pattern was pretty weak, but the next day she and her entourage were dead in their cage.

Queen replacing is not easy and it is difficult in autumn.   I replace queen in spring, in summer and in autumn and even in winter if necessary.

If queen is weak I try to replace it as soon as possible. That is why I always have extra hives to replace losses.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:51:28 am »
I replace queens on a case by case basis.  If the queen is failing or producing hostile bees I try to beat the supercedure but have found that supercedure queens can be quite adequate.  If a supercedure queen lays well why replace her? Colony strength and proximity to flowering crops are what produces the honey yield. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 07:49:55 am »
>Does anyone recommend replacing a queen at the start of spring regardless of her activity the previous season?

Not I.  Many of mine are between two and four years old.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything