Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Neighbor spraying his yard with weed killer  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
Neighbor spraying his yard with weed killer
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:33:35 pm »
My bees are on my neighbors bird bath and his yard. Am I getting up set over nothing ? Or is this going to kill my bees.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Neighbor spraying his yard with weed killer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »
are the weeds blooming?  is he spraying weed killer in his bird bath?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:21:51 am »
The bees are all over his yard and there is a weed blooming don't know what it is. He told me that the bees are all over the yard.  And he hoops he's not killing the bees

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:26:41 am »
What kind of rapport do you have with the neighbor? Good? If so ask him to spray real early in morning or real late in evening. Better yet screen your bees in while he is spraying if you are concerned. I would not get upset about it anyway, especially if he is not upset about the bees in his birdbath or on his lawn. Hopefully they are not working the blooms and it also depends on the spray. I know I have read here you can spray round-up around hives with no worry.
John 3:16

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:28:57 pm »
two things...1---it is his yard and he would probably like it to be weed free.
2----If the bees are going to his birdbath...sounds like they dont have a source of water and you may need to install your own birdbath or some other means of getting water to your bees.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:57:38 pm »
It really depends on what color bee's you have.   If they are green you could be in trouble

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »
I took care of all the ditch line at the road and half a field with roundup and I have no worries. 

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:10 pm »
You should be thankful he is not bothered by your bees being in his bubble.  Thank him for his concern and ask him to please tell you in advance if he has to spray a pesticide so you can screen in your bees.  Most herbicides don't harm the bees but the advice about asking him to spray early or late is a fine idea.  Best to be cautious. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:28 am »
It really depends on what color bee's you have.   If they are green you could be in trouble

LOL, Seriously,  I've used round up and other herbicides near my hives. I've noticed no problems. Sounds like you have a good neighbor.
Later,
Ray