Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do I need a new queen or a package?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Mountaineerfan

• New Bee
    • Mountain Musings on Bees and Life
Do I need a new queen or a package?
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:33:33 pm »
Ok, I'm much sadder than I was.  I have three hives, and all have bees coming and going with pollen and nectar.

Today, I opened the hives since it was a 73 degree day.  The first hive had bees, but not many, and I never found a queen, brood OR eggs.  In the second hive (Russians), I found more bees, but still not many.  Again, no eggs, brood, queen, or larvae.  In the third hive, I found Her Majesty!!  She was in the upper box, and there were lots of eggs, capped brood and larvae!!  I was very happy after the condition of the first three.

So my question is if it would be worth ordering a new queen or two for the other hives, or give them some time, and possibly do a split from the third hive later? 
Thanks for your help!

Disappointed in Milton.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Do I need a new queen or a package?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »
Are all the hive's Russian's bees  ??

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:41:57 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Mountaineerfan

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:43:23 pm »
Jim,
No, two are Italians, and one is Russian.  The queen that's been spotted is Italian.

Here she is:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:46:15 pm by Mountaineerfan »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:00:11 pm »
MountaineerFan.  I would combine those two colonies with the one with the queen.  If you are seeing small amounts of bees in those two  , the likelihood of these colonies having the ability to take care of brood is remote.  They are small in numbers and could not keep brood warm.  Combine.  Use the newspaper method.  I honestly must be blatent here and not get your hopes up, they wouldn't make it and you would be wasting your money on a queen/s.  Good luck.  Have the best of a wonderful day, health, life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:39:51 pm »
Cindi is right,  combine them with newspaper,  in there deeps,  then after they chew up teh paper and make nice,  remove the extra deeps and order new packages for you other two hives......

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:03:47 pm »
I wouldn't mess with the Russian hive, just because you didn't see the doesn't mean she isn't there, Russian dont build up like Italians in early spring, they want build up until a flow is on then they explode, Russians also winter in small clusters so you want have many bee's like the Italian hives, now I am not saying she isn't lost but if you combine them then she will be. bet shes there and you just didn't find her. when dealing with Russian you need to talk to someone that knows Russians, they aren't like the other races, they are a different management.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 07:28:39 am »
I wouldn't mess with the Russian hive, just because you didn't see the doesn't mean she isn't there, Russian don't build up like Italians in early spring, they want build up until a flow is on then they explode, Russians also winter in small clusters so you want have many bee's like the Italian hives, now I am not saying she isn't lost but if you combine them then she will be. bet shes there and you just didn't find her. when dealing with Russian you need to talk to someone that knows Russians, they aren't like the other races, they are a different management.

If you are a newbee 1 to 5 year's to beekeeping ITALIAN'S are for you or find someone to help you who knows Russian's IMO 

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:41:34 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:15:04 am »
I agree with Ted. I would most probably combine 1 and 3 but leave the Russian hive alone. As Ted pointed out Russians are known for wintering in smaller clusters. They are also known for being slow starters but come on strong. They are also noted for building lots of swarm cells but they have a tendancy to break them down as well.

They are a different bee for sure. I've had 4 Russian hives over the yrs, one stood out in particular as one of the strongest hives I've ever had.

Of course Russians are also known to have a little bit of attitude but not always. 1 out of my 4 was testy.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Mountaineerfan

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »
Thanks for all the information!  I knew this was the board to come to!  I'm going to give both hives a little more time, and then see how they are doing.  Hopefully I'll have some frames of brood from the third hive of Italians and can give it to the first hive.  The russians will need to wait awhile.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:20:25 pm »
I have nothing to add to the situation that Ted hasn't already said.

But I will say this is a perfect example of where having marked queens possibly would have alleviated this whole concern.  There is contemplation of requeening and combining because a queen could not be spotted.  What are the consequence of either of these actions if indeed a queen does exist?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything