Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with Bitter Honey?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
What to do with Bitter Honey?
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:01:39 am »
I did a cutout on a massive feral hive in a outside shed. Pulled 90# of honey and did the crush and strain method. The honey, however, has a bitter taste.

What do I do with it? I consider it unfit for table use. Do I try to sell with the rest or feed it back in the spring?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
Re: What to do with Bitter Honey?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:53:27 am »
This may be a case of it hate it/love it?

I keep banging on about heather honey - I absolutely love it, but my wife absolutely hates it. Heather honey has a strong bitter sweet flavour, which polarizes people who'll either love it or hate it. I recommend that you get people to taste test your honey and you may find that you've got something similar - ask several people to taste it, and if everyone hates it then you know you've got a duff batch. On the other hand if some like it, and some dislike it, then you know it's a hate it/love it sort of honey.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:55:09 am »
Or you could just feed it to your bees for winter.

Andrew

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:57 am »
Mix it with black currants and make a pymeat (mead) from it. 

If not use it for winter feed.
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:31:02 am »
My first trip up to Bud's house in Macon, Mississippi I brought some honey that the locals go crazy for down here, gave some to Alan Bukley, my buddy from Alabama. He tried it, then looked at me like I just spiked his tea with something that had a wang to it!

Last time I saw him, he tried a different batch, said, "man, that's some good honey!"

I love privet honey, some don't, some like buckwheat honey, not touching any honey that tastes like sorghum, that's what sorghums for!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:01:24 pm »
I like strong bitter honey.  I'd bottle it, label it as fall honey (or indicate somewhere that it is a strong flavored honey) and sell it for $1 or $2 more a jar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin