Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vaporizer  (Read 1684 times)

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
Vaporizer
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:41:56 pm »
I have been wanting to try a vaporizer this fall and into the winter, I have 3/8 sbb and the vaporizer is 1/2'', I can take my hive tool and get it in but I don't like doing it. Anyone have a better ideas and have you had luck using them doing the warmer day Thur the winter. Please, this post is for the ones that use Vaporizer.    Thanks

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Vaporizer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:05 pm »
I use one but I'm 1/2" vaporizer and +1/2" SBB's.  If I was in your shoes I would either cut  a 1/8" groove in the SBB or put a 1/4" shim on top of there.  Having to use a hive tool to remove the vaporizer would stink, they're not normally real happy when you finish the treatment.  Letting them know your coming by cracking the hive to get it to fit is a recipe for getting them riled up.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:52 am »
Thanks for the reply, I have around 30 SBB and will be replacing with solids as they get old . I can then make them work.
    What is the coldest days you have bleach your wood?
     I know that a lot of people has used it, its been around along time, I went back and read the old posts.

Thanks!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »
Mid 20's in November was the lowest but I try to do it a bit earlier October and I do it 3 weeks in a row as the brood is disappearing.  I've got only 20 hives and I do drone removal March to May and then after the labor day harvest.  When the queen normally stops laying drones in late Sept early Oct is when I start vaporizing.  You can learn a lot quickly about the activity of the hive and queen by simply watching the respective drone frame.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
Where would you get a vaporizer at and about how much will one set you back?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »
as a new Beek, I didn't know what you guy were talking about! LOL Did a search and found this youtube clip. I was surprised how much vapor is put off of such a small amount of the crystals. Then the guy covers the entrance! I thought for sure he was going to kill the bees!! I said it before, So very much to learn!

2012 10 Oxalic acid vaporizer (JB200) for honey bee mite control

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:06:30 am »
Where would you get a vaporizer at and about how much will one set you back?

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/vaporizer.html  This is the one I have and have used for about 5 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190962001895?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649  This one is European made and looks pretty good.  Possibly a little shorter so it may fit into the entrance easier.  I have no experience with this unit though.

anything