Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will neem hurt my bees?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline BAH

• House Bee
Will neem hurt my bees?
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:48 am »
Got some bugs on my potatoes, think it is the flea beetle. Says you can use neem oil to kill that and many other pest. Even read that bees will not get hurt, as long if it is not used in concentrate form. So has anyone else used neem oil on plants in the garden? Thx

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Will neem hurt my bees?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:07 am »
If you read the label yes it will. Organic gardener here and wanted to use it last year but looking and precautions on label it does warn about bees. Try googling organic sprays for home brews that work pretty good or mix dishwashing liquid of about tablespoon to gal water and spray to chase them away.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:22 am »
soapy water will kill bees to blanc

I have used and like neem I dont know what it will do on potato bugs but I would try. It can and will kill bees so just dont spray it on blooming plants.

Offline Dee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:14 am »
How many beetles are there? If only a few don't worry about them the potatoes will be OK. A trap crop like radishes close to the potatoes grow fast and the beetles are attracted to the new young growth.

Neem oil can be phytotoxic to plants if not used on cloudy days or in the shade.

Dee

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:13:32 pm »
It is raining here and will be for quite sometime. I was told to try a soapy solution with alcohol first and see if that will keep them off. Think I will try it first. If the problem continues I will try the neem. Just hate to chance it for some potatoes that would be easily replaced. Thx guys for you valued opinions!

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:34:17 pm »
Decided to check on that neem one more time  ;) and found this;
Neem oil is not known to be harmful to mammals, birds, earthworms or some beneficial insects such as butterflies, honey bees and ladybugs if it is not concentrated directly into their area of habitat or on their food source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Still debating... I will go read the manufacturer's label and see if my mind is made up :roll:

Offline marliah

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:41:08 pm »
Not sure on neem, but a great remedy for potato bugs is wheat germ. My mom used it all the time while i was growing up. Sprinkle it around your potato plants and the potato beetles love it. They eat it, go drink some water and explode because of the expanding. Works great!
Tara
beekeeper in central Maine
Finally getting bees again! 6/12/13