Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees gathering on front of TBH  (Read 9775 times)

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
Bees gathering on front of TBH
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:14 am »
Well, we had a few days of above 85F here in Northern Illinois.

The bees were outside of the hive, sitting on the front 'porch' and gathering on the front face and hanging below the 'porch' as well.  They were doing this in both hives.

I just figured it was too hot inside.  Some were also at the entrance fanning, I'm assuming to cool it down.

But, now we are in the 60s at night, and they are still gathered outside the front.  In smaller numbers, but still there.  I check first thing in the morning and there are still bees fanning at the entrance as well.

Do I need to add ventilation?  Open up some space between the top bars?

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Bees gathering on front of TBH
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:06:40 am »
Wow--that's warm! Here in WI it's only in the 50s right now.

Can you prop the front or back of your cover? Or drill some holes in the front, back or sides for more ventilation? When I accidentally left spaces between my bars during installation, I REALLY regretted it since they built messed-up comb that I am going to have to cut out or live with them repeating throughout the rest of the bars. I think you should keep the bars together for sure.

Do your bees have access to close water?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:01:03 pm »
Yes...much warmer than we were expecting.  I have to record the temperature at my work every day, and it got to 90F this weekend.

Plenty of water around.  We set trays of water, with small rocks, on top of each hive, and rinse them out about every 3-4 days to be sure they stay clean.  We're about 50-70 yards from an outfall/gully with running water, and 150yards from the Illinois river.

I thought about drilling some holes for ventilation, but also seemed to remember that M. Bush indicated they weren't needed/recommended for a TBH.  Looks like it might be a hot summer though, and if vents are needed, looking for advice.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:48:33 pm »
How about propping back cover open a bit to aid in ventilation?
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 04:59:39 pm »
Well, I think my question isn't how to ventilate.  I've got several ideas on how to do it.

My question is, do I need to do anything about it?  Are they gathered outside because it is too hot and do I need to do anything about it?

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:56 pm »
How full is it? The same rules still apply to TBH's.

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:09 am »
It's just over half full, possibly 2/3s full, and I can move the follower board back another 3 bars, which I will do this weekend (probably).

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 02:41:13 pm »
It's just over half full, possibly 2/3s full, and I can move the follower board back another 3 bars, which I will do this weekend (probably).

You still have a follower board on, in that heat? Lose it, you're retaining heat at this point with it.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »
You still have a follower board on, in that heat? Lose it, you're retaining heat at this point with it.

What about the evening temps? I have had a few days that were 80-82 but most other days are mid 70's and evenings are in the 50's and 60's.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »

What about the evening temps? I have had a few days that were 80-82 but most other days are mid 70's and evenings are in the 50's and 60's.

Jeremy

I've never used a follower board, here in Texas. Occasionally it gets down to 30F.  At 50's, hell, the bees can still fly. I'd pull it to reduce heat and discourage swarming until fall.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 06:53:56 pm »
Just keep in mind that the bees cool a hive by evaporation.  Too much ventilation can interfere with this.  Too little can interfere with this.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sha.chanel

• Brood
    • Keith's bee service
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:21 am »
I'm one of the bee hive growers in my town and I also had problems with ventilation since we experience a very humid temperature but I did try some of the advice here and it worked. I know this is not my post but I just want to thank everyone for the advice.

<a href="www.keithsbeeservice.com">bee removal central texas
[/url]

bigbearomaha

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 02:44:19 pm »
The bees haven't been eating too many beans have they?  maybe it's not cooling they are doing, but trying to fan away some other bees pedo smelling gas.  I know around my house, especially on a frijoles and chiles night, my kids will start throwing open all the doors and turning on every fan they can find.  even in the dead of winter.   Heh heh

Big Bear

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 10:31:57 am »
I think your kids and my kids have been eating the same thing!   :roll:
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

bigbearomaha