Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Surprise swarm arrives!  (Read 1830 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Surprise swarm arrives!
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:08:54 pm »
Gracious, I came home tonight and in my carport in an old nuc, a swarm has taken up residence. 

I can't believe this year.  In my own yard I have collected a huge vigorous swarm and now this swarm has on its own moved into this nuc.  I clearly can't leave it in my carport. 

Although I must say, the bees chose rather wisely - it is facing east, off the ground on top of a brick wall about knee high, and it is protected from the elements by the carport roof.

I guess I'll let it establish itself in the nuc for a week and then move it to who knows what spot in my yard that already sports eight hives.

Linda T swarmed with swarms in Atlanta

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
Re: Surprise swarm arrives!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:25:22 pm »
My concearn would be that when you relocate the nuc, the foraging bees will return to the old location. You might want to reasearch the relocation more. But anyways, Good for you!!!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:08:34 pm »
I cannot believe this is happening to you Linda. Now you are in the big league of beekeeping. Believe me when I say I would be more than happy to have this many hives if I did not have a job or a husband. But since I have both, I cannot do the work involved.

(Let's see I could quit the job tomorrow, and well what to do with the husband??)

Have fun while you can and relax with it. It is wonderful work to do and brings joy and peace to the spirit.

Love
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:25:28 pm »
I cannot believe this is happening to you Linda. Now you are in the big league of beekeeping. Believe me when I say I would be more than happy to have this many hives if I did not have a job or a husband. But since I have both, I cannot do the work involved.

(Let's see I could quit the job tomorrow, and well what to do with the husband??)

Have fun while you can and relax with it. It is wonderful work to do and brings joy and peace to the spirit.

Love
Annette

Too funny Annette!!! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:31:30 pm »
It is funny - I spend spare time at work reading and posting on this forum and try to fit the beekeeping in between my real job - it's a joke to see my house - either my family room is stacked up with frames I'm making or the kitchen is full of frames where starter strips are being waxed in - you can certainly tell what I am interested in!  And there's a side table in the dining room that collects the jarred honey over the summer.

Meanwhile next week I start teaching my annual semester at Emory (in addition to my real job) and I am training to walk the 60 mile 3 Day in October -

Crazy, crazy life - why in the world would the bees want to live here of all places???????

Linda T overwhelmingly busy in Atlanta

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:43:11 am »
I've had a lot of swams in my beeyard this year, too.  I prefer to think that the scout bees see all my hives where the bees are living in comfort with free food when needed and decide there couldn't be a better place to light!  I've seen pictures of your back yard on your blog.  I land there, too, if I were a bee :).

anything