Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Flow  (Read 2107 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Honey Flow
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:42:36 am »
I was reading in another forum and they mentioned before the honey flow a few times. How do you know when a honey flow is about to start?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Honey Flow
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
Certain species of plants have pollen, some nectar. When plants w/ abundant nectar become available, your area has a flow. The bees come back to hive w/o pollen in their baskets, flying lower to ground b/c they're weighed down w/ nectar(or water). They will begin to store nectar. It looks like a liquid in an open cell. Overtime they will cap it w/ wax.You'll see it glisten before its capped. Pollen looks like colored dots w/o a cap in a cell. Some early season plants/trees that usually indicate a flow are dandelion, black locust, white clover. I'm sure others will add to list. If your lucky, you may have multiple mini-flows, w/ larger seasonal flows.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:01:35 am »
The question is how do you know it is BEFORE the flow. If you have to do something before the flow, how do you know when that is. When you start seeing nectar brought in then the flow is on. When is BEFORE?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:05:10 am »
sometimes a year is  just not enough. i guess it's not really possible to tell if you haven't observed hte neture around you before..or is it?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:14:13 am »
The question is how do you know it is BEFORE the flow. If you have to do something before the flow, how do you know when that is. When you start seeing nectar brought in then the flow is on. When is BEFORE?

Good Point!-
The calander and good observations of other plants and animals to tell you  the flowere/tree  you are waiting for to bloom is about to bloom. In my locale, forsythia blooms and spring striper run(ocean temp 51F+). Also, my state offers a list of aprox. pollination dates when certain plants will bloom on the NJBeekeepers site. Ask a local beek.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 02:49:59 pm »
Every year, plot on a calendar when things bloomed and when you saw a heavy flow and what you think is blooming at the time.

Here, in town, the main flow hits about the 1st of June.  Here, in the country, the main flow hits about the 14th of June.  But some years are different depending on the weather.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything