Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost my Queen - what to do?  (Read 3503 times)

Offline engine4

• New Bee
Lost my Queen - what to do?
« on: June 25, 2005, 05:53:41 pm »
This is my first hive. I started this hive at the end of April. Everything was going fine until about a week and a half ago. I was checking my hive and found NO eggs. I had larva, uncapped and capped. Yesterday I checked the hive again and still no eggs. The bees seem content. I have called around to try find a queen and none are available. What should I do?

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 06:11:29 pm »
Where there any signs of queen cells?  Chances are they swarmed or superceded the queen and the virgin replacement has not started laying yet.  I would give it another week.

You can get queens here -> http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000426

Please add your location to your profile, so that we know where you are and can give advice relative to your area :D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline engine4

• New Bee
New Queen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 07:31:36 pm »
Well, since I'm new to beekeeping, I believe I saw 4 queen cells.  But this has not been confirmed.  

I added my location - Southeast Michigan.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 08:34:34 pm »
Dan,

Here is a picture of a supercedure cell (middle of frame) from the bee course here at beemaster.

And here are some swarm cells (bottom of frame).

Hopefully these will help you determine if you saw queen cells or not.  Don't be confused by smaller, half height vertical cells that they tend to build alon the bottoms of frames.  If you see what you think is a queen cell and it is not sealed, take a peek inside.  If it is a queen cell you will see a good amount of royal jelly (white cream).  

I don't like keeping queens from supercedure or emergency queen cells because there is a higher chance they will be inferior.   I always requeen with a quality queen.

If you are in the process of supercedure/emergency,  wait until you are certain there is not a replacement queen around before you attempt to requeen.  If you introduce a new queen, and there is a virgin queen in the hive, the bees will kill your new queen.  So wait until either the virgin queen mates and starts laying or until you are certain that the attempt at rearing a new queen had failed.

Good luck....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:06:59 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything