Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where the heck will she put the eggs?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
Where the heck will she put the eggs?
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »
Hi,
Very happy to say that our Salvaged Hive seems to have wintered well and is very active during this stretch of very nice weather we are having. We went through it to take a look and that inspection led to a few questions for those with more experience.

We wintered it with two deeps and a full super of honey just to be safe since we felt the brood frames were a bit light. From top to bottom we found the super still full and holding lots of bees, top deep full of bees too with lots of eggs and brood in all stages and the lower deep holding frames that were apparently previously emptied, but now being filled with pollen. Given that many of the frames are becoming quite full I'm wondering where the queen will lay when the other deep fills, which doesn't look like it will take long.

So, some typical beginner questions:
Is this normal? Will they move the pollen to make space to lay? Is there anything we should do? Swap the deeps?

Thank you for your help.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Where the heck will she put the eggs?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:46 pm »
Take extra food and pollen frames off and give to them new comb space.

When the hive is bigger, return the food.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:35:25 pm »
They will burn through a frame of pollen for every frame of brood they raise in the spring, rapidly opening it all up...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tim adams

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »
They will burn through a frame of pollen for every frame of brood they raise in the spring, rapidly opening it all up...
I agree with Michael they will use it up quickly.
Tim Adams

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the input, guys. Very much appreciated.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »
I know from experience that fastest  build up will have a colony, which has enough honey and pollen and the rest is brood.
I understood that pollen is just coming in. It is usefull then if it is short in nature or there are bad weathers.

But if the hive has potential with new emerging bees. They will eate part of it and new feeder bees explode the brooding.

It depends in what situaton is the colony brooding.

You may add a third box what bees can use as pollen store.

.brood frames up+ plus on sides empty combs to lay. Along cold walls honey frames and pollen frames under brood.

If weather are good, add super over the whole system.

Language barrier NOT included

anything