Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: frame of honey from one hive in to another?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
frame of honey from one hive in to another?
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
I have 2 hives, first year.
One is stronger than the other. I want to feed them honey for winter and know I need 100 lbs for each hive.
If I don't have enough honey stores in the weaker hive can I give that hive some frames full of honey from the strong hive?

Oh Canada!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: frame of honey from one hive in to another?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:19:49 pm »
Yes, I do it all the time. Why is one so much stronger than the other?  You may want to consider swapping places with the two to boost the weaker hive.

Good Luck,

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:54 pm »
I don't know why 1 is weaker than the other... When the hives started as nucs this Spring, the one that is weaker now was the stronger one.
They are side by side about 18 inches apart facing East. It is cooling now and I am slowly thinking about what to extract and how to go about downsizing to 2 boxes (full size) each. The 3rd box on the week hive only has 2 frames filled in with honey, so far.

Oh Canada!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:56:23 pm »
It's almost always best to feed the strong hive and steal the capped honey rather than feed the weak hive and get it robbed...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:58:44 am »
Yes, you can give frames of honey from one hive to another.  It's my preferred feeding method, simple, quick, and doesn't trigger robbing.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

anything