Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Standard nucleus in to D.E Hive  (Read 1396 times)

Offline skittlez

• Brood
Standard nucleus in to D.E Hive
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
Happy Friday everyone,

I just finished putting together my D.E. hive that's been laying around in the basement for awhile.
Should I expect to see some difficulty in transfering a nucleus from standard hives.

I'm just worried the non standard size of the D.E. is going to be a headache, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Standard nucleus in to D.E Hive
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:49:58 am »
If you have a standard D.E. Hive, yes.  A major headache.  If you want bees in a box other than what the nuc comes in, you're better off with a package.  The frames will not fit at all.  You will need to do a cutout and rubber band the combs into the frames.

Sell the D.E. hive and buy some Langstroths?

You can buy one langstroth box, and make an adaptor that is basically 4 - 19" long one by twos.  Take two and put on top of the ends of the langstroth box.  Set the DE box down and put two under the sides of the DE box and screw or nail these together.  You now have an adapter.  After they expand the brood nest up into the DE box you can put put an excluder on (which you'll have to buy from DE of course) and wait for the brood in the Langstroth to emerge and then remove the Langstroth box.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Standard nucleus in to D.E Hive
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:17:48 am »
Non-standard equipment can have it's advantages and it's disadvantages.  If you decide on non-standard equipment be prepared for supply problems, extra costs, or make it yourself.  Your Choice.

I can't begin to contemplate all the "great" new ideas I've constructed, tried, and either discarded or kept over the last 50+ years of beekeeping.  I'm still dreaming up new equipment that I build and try.  My latest is a 12 quart/pint jars hive feeder that I can also use for  comb honey production.  One of my earlier ones was a slatted rack using 5/8 or 3/4 dowling instead of flat slats.  I still prefer and recommend that style of rack over the commercially available ones, but using them requires I make my own. 

I decided on 8 frame hives because they did the best job of what is considered a standard size that is readily available.  If I were going to re-invent the wheel, making new version of a Langstroth hive, I would make the hive boxes and frames to fit a 14 inch cube.

It doesn't hurt to maintain a DE hive, an 8 frame, a 10 frame, or even a 12 frame, if that is what you have.  It is fun to compare 1 type of equipment against another.  It inproves you beekeeping skills and will lead you conclusions and ansers that other beekeepers don't even have questions for.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything