Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Trap Size  (Read 4970 times)

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
Swarm Trap Size
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »
Hi Everybody

I just build a swarm trap that has dimensions of 2 Warre boxes next to each other with 16 bars inside. I was wandering if this may be to big. I just read that a lot of beeks use nuck with 5 frames or sometime 5 frame nuc with 3 frames inside. That would equal 1 Warre box with 8 bars inside. Do you think that 1 ware box made into a trap would be sufficient enough?

Paul
" It ain't over 'til it's over "........ Yogi Berra

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: Swarm Trap Size
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:01:50 pm »
According to Thomas Seeley, who has researched the topic and written Honeybee Democracy, they prefer a 40L cavity (about the same as a 10 frame deep) with a 1.25" entrance.  I use 5 frame nucs with 3/4" entrances and have success.  The only attractant I use is LGO which seems to make up for the shortcomings of my traps.  Sounds like a Warre hive that equals two 5 frame nucs is just about the right size.  Use LGO and size really doesn't matter.  Happy trapping.

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »
Thanks for a reply. Since 1 box is only 18L, I hope 36 with 1" entrance will do. As far as LGO, how much do you apply and how often?
" It ain't over 'til it's over "........ Yogi Berra

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:12 pm »
I try to put 4 or 5 drops in mine.  You can put it in several ways and it will work.  Some folks put drops on top bars.  Some put drops on the bottom or sides, front or rear.  Some put it on cotton or a piece of paper towel in a Ziploc bag that is mostly closed.  Some idiots (like me) even make their own lures out of 2" pieces of straw stuffed with cotton because they think it makes the LGO last longer.  :-D  Some folks put it on a Qtip, in or out of the baggie.  I guess it really doesn't matter where you put it in the trap as long as you put it in the trap.  I put it in at the beginning of the swarm season and it normally lasts all summer for me.  Good luck with it.  Hope you catch some bees.

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:02:30 am »
I think Beyondthesidewalks has a good idea with the straw. He's thinking like a Californian, that's good!
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 04:38:43 pm »
Uh oh!  I don't know if that was a compliment or not.  I was stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernadino back in the 1980s(very fun and exciting assignment).  Perhaps some of it rubbed off on me.

Offline Colorado Bee Man

• New Bee
    • Colorado Beekeepers
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »
Thanks for the info! I will be using traps next year.
Let's save the bees!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »
I use light weight nucs and 3 frames with LGO in the cotton filled straw.   They do catch big swarms.  This is one that filled the box and what couldn't fit inside started building comb under in.