Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Home from Camping - Chilly weather  (Read 3271 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Home from Camping - Chilly weather
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:58:30 am »
Hi All :)

It was a rainy weekend for the most part as predicted - Thursday was interesting though. The Direct-TV Guys were at the door at 9am to install service in the RV, which I was really pleased about because the campground we were staying at had no cable service - a first for us.

The doodled with trying to get a signal for 30 minutes (mind you I had a dich pre-installed on the RV by the previous owners) but after aiming correctly, etc., they got nothing - finally I said "Let's go up top and see if there is a problem."

We did and there was! the cable F-type connector had sheared from the cable at the dish and the installer placed a new connector on the cable - minutes later, I had 135 channels of TV and music in the bus - www.beemaster.com/bus.html

Then, after they left, I lowered the dish and (learned something new) it needs to be rotated 90 degrees to the left OR it meshes against my FM radio antenna - ugh. I lowered the dish and sure enough, I pulled the NEW CONNECTOR right out of the cable. I was furious knowing I wouldn't get them back before the time I left for camping - so I grabbed a 20ft piece of patch cable I had, screwed on a QUICK-DISCONNECT and ran a cable from the dish, thru the driverside window and connected it to the receiver - it worked perfectly fine!!!

I disconnected everything for the ride and hooked it back up at the campground. It got us thru the weekend wonderfully and I'm capable of replacing the f-type connector (radioshack $0.69 each) and keep the quick-disconnect attached up-top so it pulls free rather than strips out another connector.

Being an RV install (technically) I couldn't get the "Local Channel Package" until I got home....

More soon

Well... I was typing along, until the BOSS pointed a flashlight in our faces to get our attention - lol.

I called Direct-TV the same day we got home, said we were done with our traveling, give me my local channel package and BOOM it was done. Honestly: next day install, phone assistance in less than a minute - wow.

So, now I'm ready, with 3 months of HBO, STARZ, CINEMAX, SHOWTIME and ENCORE for free (til July 28th) I'm really delighted with their service (so far).

Any way - it's cold (in the 50s here) and although bees are flying, it is NOTHING like it should be. Both colonies look great and I'll be inside them later this week.

It was nice getting away, great to see 600+ members in the forums - and I hope everyone here had a great weekend.

NEXT....  We go further down the shore to a place we camped before, Oceanview Campground - again with the same friends and their friends - more card playing (I won $36 on Sunday night playing under the tarp in a rain shower) so there were no good days weather wise AFTER Thursday, but Tracey and I needed a break from life for a few days, and we sat around enjoying movies and educational shows and occasionally visiting with friends over the camp trip.

PS... About my alling it CAMPING - I know it is a STRETCH of the word - camping rarely involves, washer/dryers, convection ovens, 135 channels of digital tv and side by side fridges - I'll try to refrain and call it RVing which it surely a better description. Again, my idea of ruffing it is when the ice maker runs out of cubes (which, THANK GOD) hasn't happened yet  :oops:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:14:47 am »
That just always kills me laughing everytime I go hiking or camping with my sac and tent to see these thousand $$ RV "We need to go camping and get back to the wild roughing it" and you see a sae of RV's "the get away from the modern world" with Pools, scren tents to keep bugs out of the mobile playgrounds, pools, sitting areas, dish satilights and people onntheir cell phones or the ones complianing I cant get a signal here LOLL just funny to me.
Glad you had a safe trip and relaxed  :wink:

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:12:59 pm »
(Beth here, under a new name. :) Don't know totally why.... just was suggested, and I like it.)

Anyway! John... you are right. That is NOT roughing it. When I was young, I volunteered a few times with the forest service to do repair trail work. Now they know how to rough it! Most interesting trip I took with them was 10 days in the deep woods. We used pack mules to haul the tools and food. Cut down the trees on site for the bridges. And caught some a huge golden (rare) trout! The only bad part of the trip was we had 3 days of rain, and had no "community" tarp area. So I was stuck in a two man tent (at age 17) with some lady I'd only met 2 days before. She was NOT good company..... I'll tell you that. I was glad to have brought a thick Stephen King novel. We couldn't even have a fire for those 3 days, and it's not much fun "squating" behind a bush in a huge downpour. LOL

Beth

P.S. Hey John..... would it be ok if we get rid of my old membership and have me just use this one? And if we do that..... I need an avatar - of a funky chicken!! LOL

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:50:18 am »
Camping in the catskills in febuary (4 day trip)

You have to keep the beerball next to the fire and keep turning it so that it niether gets too hot nor freezes
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:49:54 am »
I guess I need to get a satellite dish for my Tipi now.  Don't want to fall behind the times. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 05:27:53 pm »
We had a friend that got a pop up so it was a step above tent camping but not to high above, they dont want to be to high teck. Next time I saw them they had a dish on top of their pop up! Bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 05:56:04 pm »
LOLL I love that

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 09:32:59 pm »
My mom used to have a TeePee. They are so cool. I also knew a young hippy couple that lived in a TeePee year round. The lady even gave birth to both of their children, in the teepee, on national forest land, with NO mid-wife! That's tough!

Beth