Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Maine beekeeper  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Wildermirth

• Brood
Maine beekeeper
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:36:49 pm »
Hello friends,

I'm from central Maine. I'm new to beekeeping, this being my first year with two hives.
Unfortunately both hives' populations have dwindled.
I'm going to combine and begin feeding them on the next sunny day.
After reading about varroa mite infestations, and determined to counteract this risk in an organic way, I decided to attempt small cell regression, and set up frames with only strips of beeswax. At this point both hives have only about 4 full frames of comb drawn out, and only about an inch of honey along the tops of two or three frames. It's a dismal site.
Disheartening, and I feel so guilty and responsible.
I am determined to get better at this.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: Maine beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:57 am »
Hi Wildermirth,

Hello and welcome. This forum is a friendly place to learn more about bees and beekeeping.
A few tips:
1) Update your profile to include your location. Since much of beekeeping is location-specific, we will be better able to answer your questions when we know where you are. (We aren't likely to remember that you're in Maine!)
2) The forum has a nice 'search' function. Many times I've been able to find an immediate answer to my questions because they've been discussed before.
3) Sounds like you could use some "up close and personal" help with your bees. Are you involved with a local bee club? Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beekeepers. There are a number of clubs in Maine:
http://www.mainebeekeepers.org/MSBA_Chapters.shtml

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Maine beekeeper
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:07:29 am »
Wildermirth.  Welcome to our forum.  You are beginning your work and study with the bees, don't feel guilty about the hives not doing well.   Stick around here, this will be the place where you will gain a wealth of knowledge, ready and prepared to do so much better next year.  It is wonderful that you have taken an interest of beekeeping, and yes, those girls will hold you under their spell.  The more that you learn about them, the more that you will want to learn, you will one day become a great beekeeper.  Just don't give, up, do the best that you can, lean on us for help and information, and wonderful advice and stuff will come your way, you will also make some new and wonderful friends.  Now, go and have that best and most wonderful day, it is ours to live as we so choose.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service