Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Snake Bite Question  (Read 2868 times)

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Snake Bite Question
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:32:47 pm »
I know this isn't the proper place but i figure it will get a reponse quicker here.  Not to mention it was close to my beehives.  Anyways wondering if any of you guys knew a home remedy for a copper head bite.  Got two dogs that look like cartoons done everything i know to do.  Wondering if you guys had any other suggestions other then feeding them benadryl?  Vet has told me it's worthless to come in unless an infection starts to set up.  Thanks in advance for any help.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Snake Bite Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »
The vet didn't say anything about antibiotics? I suppose you just need to keep an eye on 'em and give them the benadryl.  Dogs are pretty tough, they should come through it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:44:08 pm »
biggest risk is infection at the site or tissue death at the site.  clean the bite area with some mild soap and water.    next possible risk is internal bleeding, but that doesn't usually show up until much later and is not so common.  bigger dogs (and even people) usually go through snake bites pretty well.  just keep an eye out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:48:07 pm »
Thanks guys i've cleaned the area with iodine and i plan to keep an eye on them throughout the nite and take them if i have any changes.  Just hope it doesn't come to the point of using anti venom man alive i don't have a few thousand for that.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »
I read an article in Mother Earth news a few months ago that said ice cold water baths helps slow the poison getting into the blood system and diverts it out through the liver faster.
A woman told a story that she did that with her goat or sheep that got bitten by a snake and she kept her in a cold water bath and she said it saved its life.
She said that another time one of her livestock got bitten and it waded down into the river and stood there for an entire day and night refusing to come out so she assumed it was the same reasoning.
I am not recommending anything, just something I read and you could look further into it if you think its worth it.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:05:24 pm »
hankdog1:  I am sorry to hear about your dogs.  That's terrible!  I found these two links on the web that might provide you some help. Certainly hope thing work out for your dogs.

http://www.raidthewind.com/snakebite.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1681&aid=478

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:20:23 pm »
 I really wish for the best for your dogs Hankdog1. I know how much pets can become family instead of animals. I took a dog to the Shands/University of Fl. Vets one time. Spent $1500 on her to still lose her. That was in the early 80's.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »
I've never known a dog to die from a copperhead bite. I've seen hunting dogs die when bitten numerous times by rattlesnakes, but never from just one copperhead bite.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:41 pm »
I don't know how the pain sensors of dogs are compared to humans, but in humans, copperhead bites are extremely painful, so be aware of this, and keep in mind that the dogs may be cranky and funky for a few days.

Offline Barry

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:00 am »
Before I kept bees, had snakes for 28 years. had many copperheads. Are infact the least venomous of all the venomous snakes. in modern recorded medical history--NO PERSON EVER died directly from the bite of a copperhead's person. as for your dogs, of course I wish them well, suggest you keep them quiet, and well fed, keep them warm, and check for infection  that's truly the killer in most snake bites. not the actual envenomation. If infection becomes apparent  do not delay--bacterial infections can run away in animals as they seldom show the extent of infection until it is of alarming proportions.  Again watch them closely, in the future teach them to stay from the little critters--believe it or not  is a waste of venom for them to bite anything other then food--can't eat your dog and venom is a priceless item for them.
Barry

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:07:25 pm »
Hankdog1:  Please keep us posted on your two dogs. Dog lovers have soft hearts.

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Barry

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:50:52 pm »
By the way, thought I would mention have two puppies of my own now, and am educating them--living in Florida, offers all kinds of possibilities for trouble, and with neither of my babies to get over 20 lbs  that's a recipe for trouble.
Barry

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 08:25:13 pm »
Thanks guys for ya help the 2 German Shorthair Pointers are doing fine.  Swelling is almost gone now so all is well should be gone in another day or two.  Let me think everyone for your help i did go out and get some antibiotics last nite and gave to them.  I need to try and post pics of them up for all you guys.  Wish i had of gotten them last nite with all the swelling though.  Looked like cartoons hehehe.