Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No Drones in observation hive  (Read 1020 times)

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
No Drones in observation hive
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:54:31 pm »
I built an 8 frame medium observation hive last year, and wintered it over with a small colony. The queen is now laying on 4 frames, but I noticed no drone brood. Is this typical for an observation hive? I don't even see larger cells being built, but they are still drawing out comb in open frames. No queen cups either. Not concerned, but curious. Thinking about grafting from her. Thank you.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: No Drones in observation hive
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:00:31 am »
I also have an 8 frame OB. It swarmed this spring after recovering from a swarm last year. The swarm failed to leave a good q cell and it swarmed with only the 2 bottom deep frames drawn. Luckily there were eggs and they were able to make a q but the hive dropped to a very small population. The bees were only able to cover an area about the size of an egg on one visible side and none on the other visible side. She now has both visible sides covered with brood and they are quickly drawing and filling the medium super above the deeps. There are no drone brood or bees in the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: No Drones in observation hive
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:55:47 am »
A small hive sometimes decides it can't afford to raise drones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin