Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AFB or EFB  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
AFB or EFB
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:05:18 pm »
I have no experience with the foulbroods.  Is this it and which one?

Thanks

Make Mead!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: AFB or EFB
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:06:09 am »
I dont see anything.   maybe a poor queen or laying worker. 

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:15:02 am »
I think he's referring to a couple of odd looking cells. There is one just right of centre, and I can't make out what is happening with the one in the lower right quadrant. Don't know if htey are just bees hatching out or if they are dead in their cells.

More info.... please.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:45 pm »
What are your night time temps? Looks like the bees died in the cell.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:04 pm »
 that is nether AFB OR EFB if there is any thing starting out of the ordinary i would say mild chalk brood
 is starting-but there are many reasons why the condition in the pic would accrue -there is nothing to
 be worried about from the pic-the bees will take care of it --check your mite load many viruses  from mites mimic
brood disorders--RDY-B

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:09 pm »
Thanks rdy-b.  Mite load is minor.  That is i wouldn't treat this colony this year.

I'm concerned about the black stuff you see.  Those were pupa.  You can see darker than normal pupa in some of the cells too.  I'm doing a 'String test' today.  Night temps are in the 50's.

From what i saw yesterday it's  "No Queen".  Was considering option when this came up.  Don't want to combine with infected bees.
Make Mead!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:07 pm »
Here is an image of the string test on a dark & capped drone cell.  It was difficult to create a string of any size.  I got it to work 2 out of 10 times.  I tried it with an UNcapped one that was black & shriveled.  It was moist but would not string and disintegrated.  I looked under the hood of a handful of capped drones. I couldn't find any more unhealthy looks pupa. 

Make Mead!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:41 pm »
A crappy looking frame for sure but doesn't look like disease to me. Looks like a queenless situation and looks like it was once robbed too. What do the other frames look like? How's the population?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 05:54:53 pm »
State Apiarist said it is 'Chilled Brood'.  Which make a lot of sense given the population of this hive.  Now i know what Chilled brood looks like.  The bees can be dealt with without fear of infecting other hives.

Thanks to everyone.
Make Mead!