Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best sting story  (Read 16388 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: Best sting story
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 12:15:13 am »
And of course the old saying "when you feel a bee crawling up your leg you realize the best you can hope for is to get stung on the leg..."

Haha, that made me laugh.  I also like what Dean Stiglitz said in his book The Complete Idiots Guide, "If you feel something dripping “UP”, it probably is not sweat"

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 11:45:14 am »
Thought it might bee interesting to compare sting stories.

Checking my girls the other day and noticed the buzzing was louder than usual.
I didn't think my hearing was improving, and I was right.
Managed to squash her and noticed a split where my zipper used to be.
The entire front of my bee suit  was open.
Lucky I didn't have a dozen in there.

Back away quietly and get lovey to replace zipper with velcro.
Back we go. 10 minutes later, bees in veil again.
Sting on forehead, twice. Sting under throat. Another sting on forehead.
Backed away much quicker this time with cloud of bees in pursuit.
And I was almost confident enough to take my gloves off.
Rear seam on veil completely ripped open.
Not my best day beekeeping.

Almost exact same story. Had a rip, got a few bees in from a swarm so no panic. Thought it was fixed and ended up with 20 bees in...lots of panic. I taped it and hen finally i got another bee in and it stung me on the top of my ear and it swelled up BIGTIME. You do not want to be stungon the ear! I since got it professionally repaired. :)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:41 pm »
I kept feeling a bee walking up my leg while putting bees in an observation hive that I just finished making. My wife and my 30 year old daughter thought it was pretty funny when, in the middle of the bee yard, I slowly slid my jeans off and released that bee.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »
Managed to squash her and noticed a split where my zipper used to be.

I do certainly hope that was your jacket zipper!  :-D

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 07:40:46 am »
I was doing my first solo swarm hiving when I looked up and saw my hubby standing there with a hive lid - HE HATES BEES and said I need to do it all on my own!

Was baffled and then realized he was full of dutch courage  ;)

I was rather bemused till I heard him swear and scream he'd been stung in the eye... more swearing -  as stung on ear and twice on the back of the neck....

I nearly dropped the frame I was holding from laughing so much... he said he only wanted to help  :-D

Apparently bees don't take to " beer breath" and that's why they went straight for his head? Is this true...

I consider it karma for when he laughed at my first attempt at supering... soon learnt skin tight jeans weren't appropriate! 3 stings in left thigh, 4 in the right and 1 very close to a " pink bit " which was agonising!!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 12:06:13 pm »

I consider it karma for when he laughed at my first attempt at supering... soon learnt skin tight jeans weren't appropriate! 3 stings in left thigh, 4 in the right and 1 very close to a " pink bit " which was agonising!!!

First time I've heard that term.   :shock: I'llm bet it was agonizing.  :)
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 02:31:00 am »
When I last had a hive I was stung a few times on the hands, legs, neck etc and never did have a problem (apart from the obvious sting).
Just recently when I received my new hive I copped a sting on a finger when I stupidly tried levelling the hive in the dark. About an hour later my hand was swollen twice its normal size and it lasted 2 days. Since that time I have been very couscous around the hive and wear the jacket/veil when I get close. Would hate to get one on the throat with the same reaction.   :-\
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 03:21:36 am »
Shane,
By the way you describe it, it sounds like some time since you've had a hive, is that correct? It may just take a while before you build up your immunity again.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 03:53:57 am »
I don't think it would be much more than 12 months. I'll keep covered up for a while with just the hands bare and see how I go.
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 04:44:27 am »
Interesting, I hope it's not going the other way, the lady I bought my first 2 hives off had them for 4 years before she had a bad reaction to a sting and ended up going to the hospital.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 05:03:29 am »
Oh that's not good. I hope I don't get any reactions too bad.
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 05:37:37 am »
Sorry I don't mean to put the mozz on you, I was just following a train of thought, it's probably derailed by now. Just occasionally a beek will develop an allergy rather than an immunity.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 05:19:49 am »
I was watching the hives from about 6 feet yesterday when one of the girls exited the hive, made a beeline for my face and nailed me right in the corner of the upper eyelid. Hurt like nothing else I've ever felt. I look like a mutant today! The right side of my face just doesn't look right!

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:31 am »
I was watching the hives from about 6 feet yesterday when one of the girls exited the hive, made a beeline for my face and nailed me right in the corner of the upper eyelid. Hurt like nothing else I've ever felt. I look like a mutant today! The right side of my face just doesn't look right!

I copped a sting on my left upper eye lid today. Cant see anything out my left eye at the moment.
Shane

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:59 pm »

I copped a sting on my left upper eye lid today. Cant see anything out my left eye at the moment.

Yikes!  Sounds like you two need to break out the pirate eye patches. 

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 04:52:55 am »
Yaarrr! just what I were think'n!

Offline Lek

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:04 am »
I had place 4 hives down the paddock, but just before the wet season, under a fairly big stringy bark for a bit of shade as the area was pretty dry, not a lot of grass around at the time. a week or so later it started to rain, went out to check the hives, only a two wheel track down this slope to the hives, now the grass was starting to get a go on with the humid days so I reckon I had better get the hives out before the big wet set in, went back out a week later but the ground was too wet to get the ute down to the hives, so I slips on a pair of gum boots, grabs a short length of poly pipe and heads off to the hives.  Now the grass is about 4 foot [that 1.2 m I think] As I get near the hives I see the big clumps of bees hanging on all the hives, plus a fairly big brown snake eyeing me off, I wasn't going to have this, the snake gotto go, so I layed into him with the poly pipe, he mustta seen the pipe coming so he takes off, one mighty wollop on the stand the hive was sitting on, took about 4/10 of a second for me to wake up and high tail it out of the place with a big bunch of angry females bearing down on me ,no fun running up hill through thick grass with gum boots on, I broke off a sapling and swished it around trying to scare of the girls but they keep right on coming, by this time I had been hit quite a few times, finally got to the top of the hill, raced past the shed, grabbed a hose laying on the ground turned the tap on and sprayed into the air, that when they gave up the chase and went home, me mate was wondering what was going on and was splitting his sides laughing when I told him the story, any way the snake got the message, havn't seen him to this day, then again it might of been him laying flat out on the road just after a truck went by...........Keep smiling, cheers Lek.   

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 05:39:05 pm »
Great story Lek. :lau: Took me a minute or two to stop laughing so I could read it out to my wife.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 05:42:15 pm »

Once his end abruptly rested atop that bathtub, we instantly smelled alarm pheromone!

...JP

forgive my ignorance as im new to beekeeping, but can you actually smell the alarm pheromone? any way of describing it? re Neil

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2011, 12:39:33 am »
I don't know about alarm pheremone or if it is the same thing JP is refering to, but you can certainly smell when they sting, it smells like ripe bananas. For that reason you shouldn't have eaten a banana just before working your bees because they will take offence and get agro.

anything