Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queensssss  (Read 5403 times)

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
Re: Queensssss
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 02:33:04 pm »
Thanks Hankdog.  I do have a deep hive box set up just under the branch where they went before. It's about 50 feet from the original hive. If they don't try again before a little later this afternoon We will try another split, hoping to fake a swarm. Do you think this is the right way to go about it?

thanks again patti
Believe!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 06:13:33 pm »
If they flew out on a branch and then went back they may have been seeing a queen off on her mating flight.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 09:36:32 pm »
I think you are exactly correct Michael.  This afternoon we went into the hive and found 10 full frames of bees in the deep. 9 frames had capped brood, not a lot but some on both sides of the frame. 1 frame had drone cells. We found the queen and a lot of drone, some honey, and 6 queen cells.  We split the hive, left the queen in the original and put all but one queen cell in the split. This is the 2nd split from the original. The first split seems to be doing ok, not booming but moving right along. Here are some pic I made today.

Is this an upside down queen cell?? :shock:

Believe!