Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have to feed one hive and here's how  (Read 5127 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I have to feed one hive and here's how
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:38:06 pm »
Well we had a few weeks of very warm weather in November, unusually warm for us and because of that, one hive ate through most of their stores. I could lift the back of the hive up so easily, even for me. Now we are back to more normal temps, but to late for this hive.

So I started to feed them with the baggie feeders and they are hardly taking any of it. Just a few bees here and there sitting on the baggies. I think it is just to cold during the night (low 40's) and they are not interested in it.

I was deeply troubled for a few days thinking I might lose this hive due to starvation, but I got in touch with Michael Bush and he said to place a sheet of newspaper right on top of the frames - top super - place an extra super on top then pour sugar on top of the newspaper - spray a bit with water - and this should help them from starving. See below his website and you just scroll down to "Dry Sugar" and you can open up the individual photos and see how that is done.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm

So this is my plan for this week before we get our seasonal rains, which are coming up end of week. I pray it works.

I am very excited because I found someone to build me my hive stands and looks like I will probably have up to 4 hives next Spring.

Take care
Annette

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Re: I have to feed one hive and here's how
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:28:18 pm »
If the hive is light and they can get up to the sugar stores, it'll help.  I saved some with this last year too.  You'll take some abuse from some folks on here for not combining this hive with another.  Next spring if they make it and they're building up, I want you to just chuckle and shrug it off.  Look in on them from time to time to see if the sugar pile needs patched and replenished.

Good luck.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:56:20 pm »
If at all posible order a bag of DRIVET from DADANT in chico-it contains 8% invert sugar-the bakers sugar that manlake sells has no invert sugars-the bees will go for it right off and you may find it a answer to sumer robing freanzys when weak hives  need a boost-table sugar is so-so and a slow go of it for the bees-   I thought SGTMJR made you hive stands :lol: the rains are going to start soon arnt they THUMBS UP RDY-B

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 01:39:01 am »
If the hive is light and they can get up to the sugar stores, it'll help.  I saved some with this last year too.  You'll take some abuse from some folks on here for not combining this hive with another.  Next spring if they make it and they're building up, I want you to just chuckle and shrug it off.  Look in on them from time to time to see if the sugar pile needs patched and replenished.

Good luck.

I agree with you and I would not combine this with my only other hive. If I had many hives, I would take the chance, but my only remaining hive is very, very strong and I do not even know if there is a problem with this hive or not and it is much to cool to take it apart and investigate. Thanks for your advice.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:44:26 am »
If at all posible order a bag of DRIVET from DADANT in chico-it contains 8% invert sugar-the bakers sugar that manlake sells has no invert sugars-the bees will go for it right off and you may find it a answer to sumer robing freanzys when weak hives  need a boost-table sugar is so-so and a slow go of it for the bees-   I thought SGTMJR made you hive stands :lol: the rains are going to start soon arnt they THUMBS UP RDY-B

I have been trying to purchase the drivet sugar but when I did a search on Dadant website, I did not find that sugar. I could not even find the bakers sugar from Mann Lake. Do you have the web link I can go to??  Please, give me the info on the drivet sugar from Dadant and a phone number is possible. I have some friends who live in chico and are coming down to visit me this week. Perhaps they can pick up some sugar for me.

My biggest worry right now is yes the fact that the rains are coming this week and I  would not be able to open up the hive and give them the sugar, so I might have to just give them the regular sugar. I will hold out as long as possible.

Those hive stands that Sftmjr offered to build me, never amounted to anything. He just kept saying they were almost done, then he disappeared. He even gave me his email address and although I wrote him several times, he never emailed me back. I guess he just threw in the towel and my hive stands as well.

Thanks for the advice about the sugar.

annette

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:38:05 am »
Annette -

Sometimes calling is faster than using the web. Especially if you're on a time crunch :)

Google will almost-always work: 888-922-1293 (Chicago, but ask for the CA store)

Scott

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:30:19 am »

Good luck.

I agree with you and I would not combine this with my only other hive. If I had many hives, I would take the chance, but my only remaining hive is very, very strong and I do not even know if there is a problem with this hive or not and it is much to cool to take it apart and investigate. Thanks for your advice.

Annette
                 http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,18270.0.html

or       

http://www.dawnfoods.com/public/managed/contact_us/locations/california/index.asp

or

http://www.dawnfoods.com/public/managed/contact_us/nfindex.asp

or

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Managed/Home/Index.Asp

May help you

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:53:05 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:30:16 pm »
OK, I woke up and googled them - meaning I should have thought of this right away. Yes they have the drivert sugar, but only in 50 lb package for 39.90. Is there anything else I can use the sugar for???  This is way to much for me as I only have 2 hives and only 1 needs the sugar.

Is this a sugar I can make sugar syrup out of in ordinary feeding????

Please let me know soon, I can drive up there tomorrow morning really early and get back in time to place the sugar in the hive before the rains come. They may start tomorrow.

Thanks

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:23:59 pm »
Update!!  I plan on purchasing the C&H bakers Sugar that is available right here in town. I understand it is not a wonderful as the drivert sugar, but a hell of a lot closer for me to purchase it.

I need to get this up to the hive ASAP as rain is coming by tomorrow.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:55:49 pm »
The deed is done, left work early to get the bakers sugar up to the hive. I dumped it in and sprayed a bit with water to dampen it. The bees came up to investigate and a few were already sitting on it before I even got the covers on.  I pray this works.

I may have just made it as the sky is getting darker and darker.

I thank all of you here who have helped me through yet another new experience with the bees.

Have a very happy thanksgiving this week

Annette

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:40:22 pm »
Annette, how much water should one spray on the dry sugar atop the newsprint?  I have a hive that will need help, and dry sugar or a candy board is the only way I can think of to address the situation.  The dry sugar with some water appears much easier than a candyboard.  If I had more time in advance to prepare (as I hope to next year) the situation might be different.  I am interested in your experience with your emergency feeding.  Thank you for the thread, it is just what I needed to know.
Brian

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:15:03 pm »
i just spray a very little because it absorbs moisture anyway.  i live in a wet climate.  i think if you are in a very dry place, you might want to dampen it well.  just not drippy or it will go through your np and slop on your bees.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 12:03:13 am »
Annette, how much water should one spray on the dry sugar atop the newsprint?  I have a hive that will need help, and dry sugar or a candy board is the only way I can think of to address the situation.  The dry sugar with some water appears much easier than a candyboard.  If I had more time in advance to prepare (as I hope to next year) the situation might be different.  I am interested in your experience with your emergency feeding.  Thank you for the thread, it is just what I needed to know.

I actually do not know how much to spray on it. I just took the sprayer and sprayed around the mound until I thought it all got a little damp. Perhaps I did not do enough.   I will let you know how this hive does.

Annette

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:39:01 pm »
OK, I woke up and googled them - meaning I should have thought of this right away. Yes they have the drivert sugar, but only in 50 lb package for 39.90. Is there anything else I can use the sugar for???  This is way to much for me as I only have 2 hives and only 1 needs the sugar
Hi Annette
I don't know what the ratio is but allot of beeks around here have said the hive should have about 30 to 40 lbs. of honey for the winter. So out of that 50 lbs. there maynot be allot left.
 What is the difference between table sugar and drivet? What is an invert sugar, and why is it more desirable?
Thanks!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 05:23:17 pm »
jsmob.  Copied from the internet, this is what inverted sugar is all about.  Cindi

Go to this site and it will tell you all about sugar inversion

http://www.answers.com/topic/invert-sugar
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:43:00 am »
Thank you Cindi very much.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 11:07:09 pm »
Jsmob.  Welcome, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »
Jsmob

This hive never built up properly.I found at the end of October that this hive had only 1 medium super totally filled up and extremely heavy, That would place it at the very end of minimum amount of stores. I was hoping they had a bit more down below in the bottom super, but I did not want to get down there at the time. I felt that in feeding them they would build up much more and so I was constantly feeding them sugar syrup, but they took it very, very slowly.

Now we had this very warm weather in November and then I began to worry they might have eaten what they had. and sure enough when I went to lift up the hive last week, well it was very light.

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 10:48:47 pm »
 I am experiencing the same thing this year. My hives did not get the comb drawn all the way out in there second supper.
So with four hives, three didn't produce enough for them selfs. The fourth made three deep full of honey. I pulled the first
supper early, but I left the other two to take this fall. Well when my two hives, in my out yard, looked like they would need feed I just put the two suppers, one on each, and have made two candy boards for the two hives here at the house. But with this warm weather and now the rain keeping them in, I don't believe that will be enough. But we will see.
So I do know what you are going through. I hope they pull through for you. Good Luck!