Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Win some, loose some  (Read 2394 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Win some, loose some
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:56:42 am »
My wife and I did a cutout in an old two-story house built in 1821, the comb was so infested with wax moths, it was unbelievable.  We came to the conclusion that the only bee activity was from robbers.  There was no brood at all, and it looked like two queen cells had emerged at some point.  The brood comb was empty so I suspect they obsconded.  I went ahead and removed the comb and sealed up the entrance.  Interestingly the house has another hive on the other side, too far away to be connected (huge house) so will see what that one looks like next week if the weather permits.  Hopefully the painter will have the articulated arm (bucket) there.  Might wait till spring on that one.  I am not real fond of working off an extension ladder that high up.  :-D

David 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Win some, loose some
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:22 pm »
I agree, they absconded. Good thing you cleaned things up and sealed the entrance or they will be back come spring or next spring or next spring, ok, whenever a swarm comes around and is looking for a new home that spot will be a magnet.

Beeproofing is the only sure way to keep them away but...
Every bldg seems to have more holes to seal than we have time to seal them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com