Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Adventure Begins  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
The Adventure Begins
« on: February 15, 2005, 10:29:56 pm »
Went down to New Home, Texas to remove the bees from a barn wall. The outside of the wall is curogated metal on a frame of 2x4s. The inside is a tongue and groove board starting at the floor going up about six feet.

click for larger image

From the top

click for larger image

The bees were using the opening at the top for an entrance. I started cutting the boards one by one until I got down to the hive. Had to cut seven to get to top of hive. Then another four to reach the bottom of the hive.

There was a loose board lying at an angle between the two wall studs. They had built the combs on that angled board and then sort of wraped around towards the outside wall.

click for larger image

click for larger image

It was a mess, for me anyway. I did the best I could do slowly cutting the comb loose. Some times some of it broke and dropped, but managed to sit most of the big stuff into a hive body. I was looking for brood. There might have been some and I just wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Now mind you, I wasn't even using a smoker or spraying with sugar water. I couldn't believe how well behaved those girls were. I didn't get one sting. Did have bee suit gloves and veil on. The only stingging I know of was when I caught one of the girls between the glove and the comb.

Finally I started taking the larger pieces of comb and cutting out to fit into a frame tying it with string. Anything that was capped I made sure to get it in a frame. Except some that I'm sure was honey. That stuff is bulky and heavy ain't it. I let them rob most of it out. As I was brushing them off the combs and foragers were coming in there got to be a bunch of bees. I finally sucked up a buch of them with the bee-vac.

I finally got one deep sort of put together and set the vac ontop of it and let the bees work themselves down into the box. After most were out I sat the vac on the floor next to the new hive and the rest worked their way over to it. A lot of foragers were still coming in wondering what was going on, but eventually found their way to the hive.

I finally got  the hive ready for transport but left the front door open and did the waiting game as more workers came in and found their way to their new home. I think, but not sure, that I saw the queen. And as every body made their way to the new home and was staying, I figured I must have got her.

Closed up the front and brought the girls home. I feel like I did a hard days work. Time will tell how badly I messed this one up for a first time beekeeper/catcher.

Battery went dead on the camera and I will post picture to this later.

I'm tired.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 11:06:50 pm »
Good Job!!!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 11:51:20 pm »
Congrats Jerry!!!!

I cant wait to see some pics, did you use your bee vac design? bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:54:00 am »
Way to go.
Sounds like you did a good job, can't wait to see the pics.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 02:54:30 pm »
I just walked back to where I placed the bees last night. It's 45F with a wind chile of 40F. They were oreintating themselves to the hive. I didn't expect to see them out.

Added another picture.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 08:27:58 pm »
Those are great pics. You are lucky to have a new hive so early in the year, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Feral hive
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 11:37:41 am »
Good Job The thing to do if you haven't already is feed them.The swarm I saved in mid January did good I put a pollen patty in the hive and a quail watering bottle 1 gallon size this way they can feed down to 32 degrees  they took a gallon of sugar water every other day for a week drew out the comb and the queen was laying eggs Last week I took a medium off a hive put the bees and honey othat swarm and there going like gang busters I took some wild bees out of a big bird house last summer did it the way you did and it workred well good luck kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Re: The Adventure Begins
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 12:40:50 pm »
Quote from: Jerrymac

click for larger image

Talk about your "brace" comb . . .     :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

-- Kris

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 01:09:47 pm »
No wonder they were calm when you got them out.   Look at all the beer they had been drinking!!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 05:14:01 pm »
Jerry, it will be easy to make up that hive of bee's feeder, not boiling water and no sugar , JUST POP A TOP  them are what we call good-ole boy bee's and jerry if they ever swarm and leave you they are heading for the mountains (COORS)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jay

• House Bee
The Adventure Begins
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 06:39:33 pm »
Congrats on a job well done Jerry!!! :D  :D  :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world