Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help please!! More wax moth trouble!!!  (Read 23334 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Help please!! More wax moth trouble!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2008, 11:08:17 am »
There are two genera (or maybe more) in the classification of the wax moth, AKA, the bee moth.  The Lesser Wax Moth is smaller and is the subfamily of the Greater Wax Moth.  My encounter with Wax Moth here has been very obviously, the Lesser Wax Moth.  It would appear that the Greater Wax Moth is about 1 inch, compared to I would say 1/2 inch in size.  I googled some information if anyone would like to go to these sites.  Some interesting stuff.  This is a nasty critter, not a doubt in my mind, something that I surely hope that you all can keep under control, should the bees not.  Stored equipment is particularly prone to infestation.  The infestation that I saw when I got the used equipment from my bee pal's shed surely made my head swim.   Have a wonderful day, enjoy it to its fullest.  Cindi

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/greater_wax_moth.aspx

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/lesser_wax_moth.aspx
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:17 pm »
There are some great videos on that site Cindi.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2008, 03:42:59 pm »
So lets say you find some from a carni hive at the height of their colony size that year, would you be at all concerned about them due to knowing that even though the colony is strong now, their numbers will soon decrease, and will eventually decrease down to a small cluster?  Or is the fact that the hive is otherwise healthy, (and assuming that you manage the space appropriately), enough to ensure the moths won't become a problem?

By the time the bees reduce their numbers, it is too cold for wax moth.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison