Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's Deer season in Florida  (Read 14653 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
It's Deer season in Florida
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:55:04 pm »
I have seen many deer this year and quite a few turkeys, I have held off on taking any until the time is right. My oldest son thinks it is time for him to get his first deer and is tired of watching all these deer walk by the stand, so I think we will give it a go this weekend. This Saturday is the opening of General gun deer season. I can feel the excitement building.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: It's Deer season in Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:01:13 am »
When my son was younger, opening day of deer season had the same level of excitement as Christmas. Starting at age seven, he would sit in the stand with me. I can remember taking the Sears Wishbook with us to occupy his time while waiting on a deer. Then we graduated to him holding the gun and taking the shot. His first deer was a huge 10 point. Even after he started sitting in the stand by himself, I would always put him in the best spot so he would have the best chance at a deer.

Then...........he turned 17, hormones took over and deer hunting was no longer important.

Steve     
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:13:08 am »
Steve,
Son....big racks.....4 legged doe.....2 legged doe.....hormones......I think I'll just keep quiet and not get into trouble...  :-X
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:54 am »
pd,
"general gun"...what is that? Rifles?

I hunted with a young sweet thing in Mississippi on her daddy's farm when I was stationed in Biloxi. Hunted with a shotgun and dogs. Which is not legal here (dogs). I loved sitting there and hearing those dogs coming over the ridge pushing something in front of them. I never did get one. But good memories.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:33:11 am »
Oh, hearing talking about those "stands".  I recall a thread last year about the stands that some hunters must have climbed upon to watch or something.  Just some neat memories brought up from the cobwebs of my mind.  Can't remember who posted some pics of the watch stands (I think that was what they were), but I clearly recall the talking in the threads.  Beauty.  Enjoy your hunting guys....wish I had a hunter in my family I could go out to the toolies with to hunt stuff.  Have a most wonderful day and life, love life, great health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 11:16:13 am »
Been laying low on my deer this yr, put a little too much pressure on them last yr, hunted with gun and bow.

Thanksgiving last yr my deer were going beserk, making scrapes, got lots of pics, here's one:

I am excited to hunt the rut and will be there this yr when the actions on!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 11:36:58 am »
Yes general gun is shotguns, rifles and deer dogs. You can still use a muzzleloader or bow if you would like. Up till '92 my family only hunted in large tracts of woods running dogs and yes there is nothing like a early morning run as the sun comes up. Laws have changed, development has moved in and now we all just still hunt on the family lands.  I will say it makes the meat taste better and provide more family time. I will post a pic some of my tree stands later when I get to work.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:42:35 am »
Dallas, good.  I want to see these pictures, anyone else got any pictures of their stands too, and a story to go along with it?  I love to see and hear these things, yeah!!!!

JP, nice deer eh?  Thanks for bringing that picture on.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day and life, love life, live life, great health wishes to us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 12:58:07 am »
Here's a few more for you Cindi:

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:22:19 am »
JP, oh lovely!!!  You have brought pictures of the deers that you see into our forum other times, I have loved them all.  Deer are such a pretty species, but I love to eat 'em too.  Yummy.

I almost hit a deer yesterday.  There is a certain part of our road going into town that we must always watch, it is along what is known as the deer path and there are very frequently deer crossing the road, well actually running across the road.  My Husband was hit by a deer a couple of years ago, it ran right into the front of his car, wrecked it, he was OK, but it was a shocker.  This was along another part of our road that is considered a deer path.  Sad when they get hit, the meat is usually wrecked I would imagine.  Have a wonderful and most awesome life and day, love life and live it so, great health.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:40:03 pm »
Quote from Cindi "Sad when they get hit, the meat is usually wrecked I would imagine. "

We call that "tenderized" usually there will be a section that's tore up and unusable but you'd be surprised at how much is usable, I always stop for roadkill that's right next to the road.

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 06:50:17 pm »
Doesn't it make the meat icky if it's not bled out & gutted quickly enough??  I don't hunt so don't know, just what I've heard.  If the end of life as we know it comes it will be useful information!!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 07:19:36 pm »
My family and I have killed and consumed dozens if not a hundred deer. The meat is always delicious. This is our process. First, try to make a clean kill, no gut shots. Second, field dress asap, while the body is still warm. Third, asap, wash out the body cavity with a water hose and hang in a cooler with the hide on. After two to five days, skin the deer and process the meat, package, and freeze or eat.

I see these yahoos ride around all day with a cold unguted deer on the hood of the truck. Would you buy a steak and tie to the hood and ride around all day before you cook it?

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 09:25:51 pm »
Doesn't it make the meat icky if it's not bled out & gutted quickly enough??  I don't hunt so don't know, just what I've heard.  If the end of life as we know it comes it will be useful information!!  J

Jody, the meat does not get icky if its not bled out, you may be thinking of fish, oily ones need to be bled out quickly such as bluefish or they have a terrible metallic, oily taste.

I try and prepare my deer while they are still warm from internal body temps but sometimes the animal is not recovered until the next day. As long as the temps are very cold its generally considered safe to harvest the venison the following day as the cold dramatically slows down the decay process.

After the deer is gutted it can be hung and aged for several days as Steve does in a walk in cooler, this makes the meat even more scrumptious.

Another thing, if rigor mortis has set in on road killed deer, I refrain from eating them, fresh road kill is OK.

...JP

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 09:36:57 pm »
JP, do you eat the liver and the heart? I don't, but I have friends that do.

Steve

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »
Ah, you guys, stop, stop, stop, I can't stand no more!!!  I need food, meat, venison to be exact.  Always be very grateful that you are able to hunt, that you can provide that food for the table, that is a very special thing, and I am so humbly happy for you all.  Always remember gratitude for what Mother Nature will provide for us, if we will but take it.  I must go to our butcher this week coming up and get some venison.  I will report, hee, hee.  There is an organic meat farm in our neighbouring town that sells all types of this "different" meat.  Not long ago we had buffalo steaks.  Wow!!!  That was something else too!!!  Loved it.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, living and loving our wonderful life.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 09:57:51 am »
Ah, you guys, stop, stop, stop, I can't stand no more!!!  I need food, meat, venison to be exact.  Always be very grateful that you are able to hunt, that you can provide that food for the table, that is a very special thing, and I am so humbly happy for you all.  Always remember gratitude for what Mother Nature will provide for us, if we will but take it.  I must go to our butcher this week coming up and get some venison.  I will report, hee, hee.  There is an organic meat farm in our neighbouring town that sells all types of this "different" meat.  Not long ago we had buffalo steaks.  Wow!!!  That was something else too!!!  Loved it.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, living and loving our wonderful life.  Cindi

Cindi, if you do buy venison and have a choice, get the backstrap, and then you can make medallions and fry them up battered in Italian breadcrumbs! I can walk you through it.

Steve, I'm not one to eat organ meats of any kind, its mostly a mental thing, this is why Bud can have his guts (chitlins) I'm just not going there!

...JP

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 10:55:08 am »
For me I love deer liver and heart. I soak the liver in orange juice over night and have liver and onion's and the heart I slice it roll it in flour salt and pepper and fry it up for breakfast. The kidney's I like to cook over the campfire while every body else is doing hot dog's.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 11:27:09 am »
JP, cool, I'll be leanin' on you, brother.  I am going to that butcher later on this week.  Beautiful and most wonderful life and day, great health.  Cindi

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 09:18:55 pm »
In Arkansas we can kill 2 buck and two does