Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yooper of Michigan  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Camp9

• New Bee
    • www.threefoldvine.com
Yooper of Michigan
« on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:51 pm »
I've been keeping bees for 28 years.  I use to have 120 back in the 80's and when the mites came along with depressed honey prices went down to just a hive or two, and even had a short time where I didn't have any.  We have 20 now and plan on building up again.  We farm full time having beef cattle, hay, grapes, and pumpkins.  We use the honey for sale and making mead.  Hope to have some time to visit from time to time and keep learning. 

Camp
As much as I love this life, there are days I looks forward to the next

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Yooper of Michigan
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:48 pm »
i hope you have time to share!  it's always great to have experienced beekeepers share what they have learned over the years. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Camp9

• New Bee
    • www.threefoldvine.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:16:09 pm »
A lot of things have changed through the years, for the better.  I'm real encouraged at the work being done in mite resistant bee's.  For years all I ever had were Italians, now there are so many options, makes it fun.

Camp
As much as I love this life, there are days I looks forward to the next

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:35:24 am »
Camp, welcome to our forum, you say spending time now and then.  I bet that it will be more than that, hee, hee.  This is the place that will help you to learn more stuff, things have indeed changed from years ago, from what I can gather.  So nice that you have returned to the bees, you have been held under their spell, you know that.  Good luck, you will find that beekeeping rejuvenation will also help your farm so much in every way, you know that too.  If you have any experiences that stick out in your mind, tell us, we love to hear stories and are a nosey crew (especially me!!, hee, hee).  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything