Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package Prices  (Read 6038 times)

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
Re: Package Prices
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 06:17:32 pm »
I just got in touch with a guy who's offered to pick up packages in CA and drop them off on his way back to Seattle in April. We're figuring we can get far better prices than what's retailed (as much as I love our local store, with as many colonies as I have I can't afford retail prices) Since I live close to the I-5 corridor in SE Portland, I've offered to host a pick-up site at my place. There's more information on the OSBA message board (I'm new, so I can't post URL, but google Oregon State Beekeepers Association) if you're interested, and you can PM me from there. (MichelleB)

If you only need one package or are just starting out, by all means support the local retailer. They'll come through for you in a pinch.
Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 10:44:53 pm »
no such luck over here. bees are sold only by the hive. Currently works out to be app. us$112.00 i am not surewhat the law is regarding mail of livestock but our postal system was beyond slow up until a few years ago.

not sure what your prices on hive bodies(cover, bottomboard and box) are so i cant compare the final figure for your complete hive

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:02 am »
Considering the prices for packaged bees, a complete hive for $112 sounds like a bargain when you include the costs for BB, hivebody, frames, foundation, inner and top covers.   I've seen 5 frame NUCS offered for more than that. 

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 11:21:12 am »
I see what you are saying, although we consider the prices to be high. We dont use inner covers here though i suppose its just not necessary.Our biggest problem now is wax. There is very little and we can't import. Plastic frames havent really caught on plus they are expensive although they would work out in the long run I have heard of cases where farmers have bought them and the bees dont use them.

anything