Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stung myself on purpose today.  (Read 9448 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Stung myself on purpose today.
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:55:50 am »
My middle finger on my right hand has had joint pain for three days, so I gave myself apitherapy. It helped tremendously. This am I had trouble bending it and had throbbing pain, before the sting. Relief lasted the entire day, feeling some pain now. I stung myself square on the knuckle. I have also stung my right thigh in the past for syatic nerve (sp?) Anyone else sting themself ? I'm sorry that some may find this a cruel subject, but apitherapy is real. I have had arthritic pain in my hands for several yrs and thought that one day I may perform apitherapy on my hands but today I really needed some relief and it worked amazingly well.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
Re: Stung myself on purpose today.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 01:24:43 am »
I havn't stung myself but a big reason I am so excited to start bee keeping is apitherapy. I saw a special on "rippliey's believe it or not" which showed it being used to help MS patients. My sister is doing something in the medical field; so I'm hoping when her schooling is done she will be able to help me set up a clinic of sorts.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:57:54 am »
My beekeeping mentor tells me that when he started beekeeping his arthritis was so bad he couldn't hold a toothbrush. He always works his bees without gloves and considers the few stings he gets to be a great benefit as he hasn't been troubled by arthritis for years.

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:32:58 pm »
A man I work with has rheumatoid arthritis.  He has been taking medicine for it quite some time.  He'd been talking to me about apitherapy since last fall and decided to try it this spring.  We'd gotten a 3 video set that explained it pretty well.  After he'd watched that he was sure he wanted to do it.  Started out slow with a few stings once a week.  Now he's up to 8 stings and wanting to try twice a week.  After 3 weeks of stings he had an appointment with his doctor.  Dr. was so pleased with his improvement he was told he didn't have to come back for 3 months.  Dr. hasn't been told about the stings, yet.  Every time my friend comes out he always tells me how much better he feels and how much the swelling has gone down in his joints.  He told me today if I stopped stinging him he was going to shoot me!

Another man who works in one of the terminals we load at heard about him getting stung.  He told us he had back trouble until he was stung over a period of time a total of 70 stings and that took care of it.  They even used to sting his horses to help them with their bad legs.  Kinda hard to get a "placebo effect" with animals.

Stung my wife on her ankles and she now has total feeling in the front of her legs where she has had tingling for a long time.  (Please don't make any comment on how I referenced horse's legs and my wife's legs one right after the other.)

Can't argue with success!!

Arvin
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:05:10 am »
wow great storyes.
tnhe thing with horse really impresses me, i mean...how didyou keep him alive? a horse can withstand what? 3-4 stings.
yesterday i did an inspection and was about to put the last frame in and whuuuusssshhh, zap zap zap zap in the right arm.
i guess i'll probably never have arthritis :) but i'm still young.

but what do you thing about some real back issues (my dad has them, once, he was in bed and crippeled for a whole month, a kiropractic helped him) so...would stings help with it, or is this just to "physical"? what do you think.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 06:49:26 am »
Maybe it's not the apitherapy that's helping, maybe the sting hurts so darn bad that you forget about the other pain.  lol
I have carpal tunnel and I got stung on the hand and all it did was hurt.  :-)

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:19:26 am »
I sting myself every time I play with the hives.  Oh maybe once a week or so.  Them girls are just loving all over me by the time I am finished. :-P

On a serious note, no I have not.  I have often thought about it for my tendonitis but I am nnot sure it would help with the tendonitis.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:53:53 am »
Since my post the other day I have had to sting that same finger in the morning, every day now, with great relief. This morning was no exception, I couldn't tie my shoes. Got stung, on purpose, was able to tie my shoes and the finger is 95% better. I have pain throughout the joint of the middle finger on my right hand and have been administering stings, one only, to the top of the knuckle but am contemplating stinging the underside as well. Also, I have been removing the stinger pretty quickly, except fo today. The feeling of relief was instantaneous. I can't imagine how the word placebo effect would have any merit here, its about coping with real, physical, joint pain.

This is my own little deal, and its one finger. If its for broad areas, and multiple stings, common sense would tell me to consult with a doctor. Again, I take full responsibility for what I am doing, and I would advise anyone who asked me about apitherapy to consult with their doctor first.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 07:25:18 am »
Well, guys and girls it seems like the arthritis in my hands is catching up on me. I haven't needed to sting the middle finger on my right hand again, but the index finger on my left hand is now hurting at the joint for two days now. I believe I will be consulting with my doctor very soon. I may be reporting on apitherapy again if that is what this road leads me to, but I need to do some serious research and consult with the doctor, for now. I have a friend, whose son has rheumatoid arthritis and he takes medication for it, but I've heard the side affects are extreme, but he needs to take something because he is a musician. Can't describe the aching in my index finger, feels like someone hit the joint with a hammer, I feel very old today, and I'm only 42. Oh well, who said life was fair, right ? :(

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 12:44:18 pm »
Hey, I had a hip replaced at 42.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:04:31 pm »
I've been meaning to post to this for a while - do some "Apitherapy" searching to full details, but I did it daily for two seasons: that's 30 stings on my neck each day after falling 20ft to an asphalt surface, fracturing my right arm, but messing up my neck long-term.

I learned quickly that the trick was to grab the bees by the heads out of the hive using tweasers and letting the reflex action do the stinging. I aalso learned to sting myself on opposit sides of the neck, after a few stings it really didn't matter how many stings I took, the pain level was about the same.

I used this high sting dosage, taking two weeks to get up to the 30+ sting rate. What was left on my neck looked like an over baked pizza, but under the skin and in my muscles it felt like a heating pad doing magic.

After season two I felt like I didn't need the theraphy again and my neck has been really good with few flare-ups in nearly ten years. In hindsight I would do it again, I really believe that IF I had not done it, then I would stiill be seeking pain meds and other therapy like chiropractic which is a 3 times a week obligation I never had much faith in - so of the two I'd take sting theraphy for certain things, but it surely is NOT for everyone.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 03:20:23 pm »
CRAZY.....the whole lot of you
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 07:16:33 pm »
Yeah, go, go go.  I do not mind one little bit to be stung, and yes, I have had good results with kind of achy muscles in my hands, this summer I am working on finding the oldest bees, I think that they pack the biggest punch :roll:  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BBHJ

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 03:25:59 pm »
Maybe it's not the apitherapy that's helping, maybe the sting hurts so darn bad that you forget about the other pain.  lol
I have carpal tunnel and I got stung on the hand and all it did was hurt.  :-)

Sean Kelly

Sean , I also have CTS. I have it in both hands and it is starting to flare up again after getting injections back last year. Sorry to hear you have it as well. I may try some apitherapy to see what happens. It'll save me lots of money if it does help.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 09:29:08 pm »
Not too much pain in joints today. I started taking glucosamine/chondrotin mix and am rubbing emu oil on my hands. Will contact doctor tomorrow.

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 01:32:32 am »
>>>>>>>>>>  i guess i'll probably never have arthritis  but i'm still young <<<<<<<<<<<<
 remember this statement 10 to 15 years from now..

My hands hurt so bad ,that I had a hard time driving ,,,,  I dont use gloves or any thing ,,but was lucky to get a few stings on my hands .. now my hands don't hurt ,,, hope the girls keep giveing me a few treatments    ..     the stings hurt less then the pain in my hands and the sting only last for 5 min ,, the hand pain is 24 / 7  >>
the kid

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 07:45:19 am »
We think we are invincible when we are young.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 08:03:14 am »
heyy, i said it in a joke-as to opose all the stings i get

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 09:41:35 am »
Thought I'd relate a quick story. About three yrs ago, I removed a hive from an alligator nuisance control guys utility room wall. He and his wife told me that they had had a dog that had bad arthritis and one day was stung by the bees, which, incidentally had been in the utility room wall for more than 5yrs. They said the results for amazing, that it was like a brand new dog for a time. Well, and they both attested to this, that they caught the dog at the entrance of the hive quite a few times over the yrs getting stung, because, afterwards the dog would get fantastic relief from the stings. Hard to believe a dog could be that smart or desperate or whatever you want to call it, but they both attested to it and I have no reason to doubt what they were tellin' me.

Offline jl

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 10:20:04 am »
I have allergies and when my hive got attacked by bear I ended up getting stung about 20 times, I don't know if it was the adrenaline or if it was the stings but my allergies have been cleared up since.  Not scientific enough for proof but it sure has felt good to be able to breath.

Jeff

anything